Skip to content
Definition of this heart issue
mytimeistoday posted:
Years ago I was diagnosed w/ dextra-cardia, when I was about 4 yrs. old (I'm now 52). Two years ago, I was told that it is "solus invertis totalis w/ dextra cardia. Two months ago, I was told that not only are all my internal organs on the opposite side, not only are they all facing backwards, but now, after my latest MRI's, it seems that my aorta and ventricle valves are also switched, w/ the aorta now on the bottom! My question is, "Is this still considered totalis, or is there a different term? I had been using "screwed up insidus", as a joke, but would like to know the correct term, if there is one.
Thanks to any MD who can answer this for me.
cardiostarusa1 responded:

"was diagnosed w/ dextra-cardia"

You mean dextrocardia, a condition in which the heart is pointed toward THE RIGHT SIDE of the chest instead of normally pointing TO THE LEFT. It is present at birth (congenital).

solus invertis?

Sounds complicated. Any who, I'm not an MD, but here's some randomly-selected general info that I hope you find helpful.

Definition of Situs inversus totalis

Situs Inversus Imaging

Types of Situs Inversus

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,


WebMD member (since 8/99)



Be well-informed



The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems



Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK Questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society


It's your there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center