Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
not so hot lipid profile despite healthy habits
Anon_138261 posted:
I am a 43 yr old female with a few health issues: fibromyalgia, GERD, Hashimotos, IBS, & a severely herniated disc in my back. I do have lots of back problems but I am very active. I just started Zumba classes.
A few years ago, I found out my cholesterol levels were high, running 250 ish but my triglycerides 90ish & HDL 60ish were good & my LDL high at 180ish.
My diet at that time was & still is: no fried foods or white bread/ cereal, rarely whole grain breads & pasta, red meat, dairy, butter. I use olive oil. I do eat chicken, fish esp. salmon, salads, fruits, veges, nuts, beans, healthy yogurt. No soda. I drink 1 cup coffee a day. I drink decaf green tea in the evening.
I took Red Yeast Rice to lower the numbers, which it did lower a bit. I also take a fish oil.
In the past 2 months, even though I hate it, I started eating plain oatmeal. I also started making sure every meal was balanced with a healthy low carb, healthier fast carb, and protein, smaller meals more often.
I have been known for very good blood pressure, but that went up and wouldn't go down so I had to start a blood pressure med. My blood pressure is managed by the med.
I just had my lipid profile. My cholesterol went from 250 to 300. My Triglycerides went from 90 to 236. My thyroid levels are all good.
I am shocked to say the least. Did the Blood Pressure med affect these numbers? I had several Lumbar Steroid Injections over the past several months. Did they affect my numbers? Elevated Chol. Does run in my family. Although my father is in his 70's & very healthy, I had 2 uncles with fatal MI, 2 others who survived but had surgery. . So, these numbers concern me. Is this where I throw in the towel & start a medication?

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
There are some blood pressure medications (such as HCTZ or hydrochlorothiazide) that are associated with changes in lipid profiles - I would suggest talking to your doctor about what you're taking to see if there might be a link. If not, genetics and diet are likely playing a stronger role.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center