Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post cardiac event regimen
An_249284 posted:
I recently had a heart attack resulting in two stents implanted. A second cauterization showed another small blockage which I was told was not accessible via angioplasty. My question regards what recommendations and guidelines are usually given to patients with similar events regarding short and longtime lifestyle changes due to my cardiac health, I received none from the hospital staff or my cardiologist for that matter other than to quit smoking (and that was only someone underlining this in my discharge papers). No recommendations as to what literature I should read or anything I should do to improve the chances of reducing any further events.
Is this normal after someone has had these events?

billh99 responded:
Is this normal after someone has had these events?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

About diet look at the WebMD post It's Never Too Late for a Heart Healthy Diet!
http://forums.webmd.com/3/heart-disease-exchange/forum/4576

Personally I like the Mediterranean diet. If you search on WebMD or google you will find lots of information about it.

And if overweight you need to lose weight.

Learn what the purpose of each med that you are taking and if there are any special limitation or requirement (such as interaction with other meds or foods) or side effects that you need to watch for.

And you want to do regular exercise. Ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiac rehab program. It will help you get started exercising and also has education programs on things like diet and smoking.

AND STOPPING SMOKING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT YOU CAN DO. Check with your insurance and see if they offer a stop smoking program. And talk to your PCP about support for stop smoking. Also the local Lung Association or Heart Assocation might has stop smoking programs.

I am assuming that you will have a followup with your cardiologist in a couple of weeks. If he does not answer you questions at that time ask your PCP for a referral to a new one.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Qutting the cigs is an obvious must.

Especially when a heart attack has occured, one should know his/her left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF), which is the single-most important clinical indicator of how well the heart is pumping, the amount of blood that is being forced out of the left ventricle (LV) with each beat.

Normal resting range LVEF is 50%-75%. Average reported is in the low to mid 60s.

Cleveland Clinic

Understanding Your Ejection Fraction

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/ejectionfraction.aspx

Coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot treatment, as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Most important, coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

After You Quit Smoking - The First 2 Days

Quit Smoking Benefits - the Healing Begins...When you quit smoking, the benefits begin within minutes of your last...
At 20 minutes after quitting:

Blood pressure decreases, pulse rate drops...

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afterquitting/a/quitting20minut.htm
-

WebMD

Living with Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care of your...

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart../It is up to you to take steps...

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the LAD, the most critical, next to the ultra-critical LM.

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

_ . _

Heart-Healthy Foods

AVOID foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors (encompasses new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

As applicable to the patient

Cardiac Rehab

Typically, cardiac rehab plays an important role in the overall recovery process, which is DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, and at any age.

WebMD/Healthwise

Cardiac Rehab

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/cardiac-rehabilitation-topic-overview

Mayo Clinic

Cardiac rehab: Building a better life after heart disease

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiac-rehabilitation/HB00017

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
In addition to typical recommendations - stop smoking, eat a healthier diet, take medications as recommended - I would encourage you to talk to your doctors about cardiac rehabilitation. This prescribed structured exercise regimen lasts for about 8 weeks or so, and participation is generally associated with a signficant lowering of future cardiac risk. I suggest talking to your doctor to see if it would be appropriate for you.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

You must quit smoking and you should consume fat-free food till you are checked by your cardiologist.It is advisable that you stop alcohol intake too and at a later date consume maximum two pegs of an alcoholic beverage a day(one peg for a woman).You must take your medicines properly and be cautious about your sex life too and for a stipulated period of time, which your cardiologist shall specify,do not drive.Do not be over-anxious as anxiety may be harmful for your general health.Have faith on God and trust your cardiologist.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center