Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Cardiomegaly how serious is this?
Debsbears posted:
I had to have a complete spine X-ray done for scoliosis. They found that and a host of other things wrong. But the result that stood out the most was "Cardiomegaly is present".

I immediately called my cardio guy gave them the word and they told me to come in no later than Friday. I take it that this condition is serious! Deb

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I take it that this condition is serious!"

It mainly depends on the cause.

General info

Mayo Clinic

Enlarged heart (cardiomegaly) isn't a disease, but rather a symptom of another condition

SEE: Complications

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-heart/ds01129

Noteworthy, there is a medical term known as the cardiothoracic ratio (CTR), which is a measurement on a routine chest X-ray (CXR) of the width of the heart divided by the width of the chest.

Typically, a CTR greater than 50% is suggestive of an enlarged or dilated heart. Noteworthy though, in some cases, a heart may/can be greater than 50% of the cardiothoracic ratio and still be considered a normal heart.

Also, and as seen on a resting echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound), the entire heart (global enlargement) may/can become affected or just an area of it (regional enlargement).

Take extra-good care,

C*

-

-

Be well-informed

Health Central

Cardiac Enlargement: A Patient Guide

There are two types of cardiac enlargement: Hypertrophy and dilation......

With the exception of exercise-induced enlargement, all forms of cardiac enlargement are abnormal and associated with further...

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/patient-guide-44614-6.html

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical, diagnosis or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
"Cardiomegaly" means "enlarged heart."

However, in my experience it's not uncommon for people to be identified with cardiomegaly on an Xray and then subsequent testing (such as a cardiac ultrasound) shows that the heart is actually normal in size. But I agree that it's a good idea to follow-up, especially given that it sounds like you already have a relationship with a cardiologist and therefore may already have some history of heart disease. Take care.

Sandflea replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
I used to have this as a child but it gradually went away, until now. I am 60 and I get dizzy spells after rising from a stoop or some exercise. For some time now, when I use the bathroom (BM) I get sick and vomit almost everytime afterwards. I vomit the usual stomach contents it seems but towards the end it is a mass of something that seems to large to come through the throat, like a thick mass of coarse ceral or something. What should I do?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center