Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How long should I be on Plavix/Aspirin
barrymax1 posted:
In 2006 I had a cardiac calcium scan which revealed high plaque build ups, despite having no symptoms. Angiogram confirmed plaque and I had 7 stents placed in my arteries. I was put on a regimen of Plavix 75mg with Aspirin 325mg daily. I am also taking Lipitor and Metoprolol daily. After six years of this drug regimen, I cannot seem to find anyone willing to suggest stopping/tapering Plavix. I have not experienced any serious side-effects from these medications. I bruise extremely easily and I am concerned that if I were to fall or have a car accident, I could bleed out. I am a 69 year old male.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

It is typically 1 year of Plavix for drug-eluting stents (DES), though researchers say that continuing studies will prove or disprove a universal benefit beyond that. With the older bare-metal stents that are still being used, it is typically 1 month of Plavix.

Aspirin (at a dose that ones' cardiologist suggests) is sometimes added to the Plavix regimen, though it has a different mechanism of action, and can increase the risk of bleeding. Aspirin-alone may be applicable in some cases, and usually continues indefinitely after Plavix is stopped.

About Plavix

Plavix prevents platelets (a component of blood) from clumping together and causing a blood clot (thrombosis).

Platelets (thrombocytes), manufactured in the bone marrow, are small cells in the bloodstream that are part of the blood clotting process.

Plavix 'n Stents

Plavix-therapy is extremely important. As reported, early or late-stent thrombosis is the formation of a blood clot on the struts of a DES, occurring weeks, months, or even years, after implantation, which according to one study, leads to death about half the time.

DES delays a process known as endothelialization, in which a thin layer of cells gradually grows over and covers over the stent.

A study published in The Lancet, a prestigious medical journal, detailed 4 cases in which DES patients experienced a heart attack from stent thrombosis about a year after implantation, and shortly after stopping antiplatelet-therapy.

Studies have revealed that an increased potential for blood clot problems may continue on in some DES patients much longer than previously understood/realized, thus many interventional cardiologists are recommending Plavix for a year (or more), some indefinitely/for life, especially is one has had a heart attack or brain attack (stroke).

Bottom line

Coronary stents are just a Band-aid or spot treatment, as this does not address the underlying disease process and what drives the progression.

Most important, coronary artery disease (CAD) is a life-long unpredictable (which can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

From Dr. Beckerman

Plavix is typically recommended for one of two reasons:

1) You have just gotten a stent. Depending on the type of stent, Plavix is recommended in addition to aspirin for one month up to one year.

2) You have had a heart attack. There are studies that suggest a benefit to taking Plavix in addition to aspirin for one year after the heart attack.

Plavix is also sometimes recommended in cases of true aspirin allergies when aspirin would be recommended.
- -

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a disease with no cure......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the LAD, the most critical, next to the ultra-critical LM.

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors (encompasses new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center