Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Still anginal like discomfort after stenting
HUSTKLA posted:
I was leading a very active work life working 10 to 12 hours a day and started getting short of breath. After the progonis I have had 3 stents put in about 3 weeks ago with 3 arteries being over 90% blocked. The angioimage after the procedure looked perfect with the flow and pressure being 100%. The first few days and the first week, I was feeling very fresh in breathing and comfortable in taking walks of about a kilometer. All of a sudden now when I now go for walking or doing any small exertions, after a few minutes or 30 meters of walk, I start getting discomfort, slight tightness and pain in my shoulders and upper front and back muscles. The discomfort eases to certain extent if I stop there and take a little rest. Could some one advise me if this is a normal issue if rushing with the rehab and trying to get back to work or something else I should pursue?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Could some one advise me if this is a normal issue"

As reported, discomfort or pain, typically occurring in the chest/thoracic area (and may or may not radiate elsewhere) following successful percutaneous coronary interventions such as angioplasty, with or without coronary stenting, may/can occur (though considered uncommon, judging by the sheer number of stents implanted worldwide each year), and such discomfort or pain may/can be indicative of acute coronary artery closure (angioplasty-only), coronary artery spasm (angioplasty-only or occurring near the stented site), or heart attack, but may also be due to local coronary artery trauma, coronary artery wall stretching, or may be deemed "idiopathic" (no known cause, cause unknown).

The bottom line

Coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot-treatment, as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (may/can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration and even some regression) condition requiring a continuum of care.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care of your heart.....

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart../It is up to you to take steps.....

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups...

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors (encompasses new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

HeartSite

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

HUSTKLA replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thanks very much Cardistar*
Your response to "dicomfort when exerting after intervention" is very learning and informative. I also understand that there needs to be a completer lifestyle change that may be required to learn to live with the this CAD. Is there something I need to understand and get prepared to ask a specfic question to the Doctor when I visit his after this intervention.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center