Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
24 hour Holter Test=what does the results mean?
CamBuc posted:
I am 66 yr old female, on Losartin (BP with med 108/61 12/27), on Pravastatin, all numbers under min range. I need to drop 34.4 lbs (just hhad resting metobolic test). I also have sleep issues (Jaw, nasal problems, some central) and started using air therapy at night.

I am trying to understand cardio report sent to me after 24 hr holter test. Here are results:
This patient has underlying sinus rhythm, Ocaastional PAC's, PVC;s and single ventricular couplet. No symptoms recorded.

Prior I have had echo, nucluear tests. Found slight leak mitral, tricuspid. Also slight enlarged left ventrical. No meds, just follow up in June 2013.

I have down pilates last year, and in addtion to diet and walking, etc what can I do to keep heart strong- and how can I control these condtions from getting worse? eg: Limit caffeine? Limit my red wine?

billh99 responded:
The sinus node is a place on the heart where normal heart beat is triggered. That in turn triggers upper chambers to contract. And in turn triggers the lower chambers.

So a sinus rhythm indicates a normal heart beat.

PAC's are premature atrial (upper chamber) contraction and PVC's are premature ventricle contraction. While Sinus node is the primary heart pacemaker other parts of the heart can start heart beats as a backup.

On occasion one of these will trigger when not needed and generate the PAC's and PVC's. This is not uncommon and many people have them without any concern and never know then until they get an EKG for some other reason.

A ventricular couplet is a two PVC's in a row.

Certain patterns of PVC's or PAC's can cause problems.

But your report did not indicate conditions that are a problem.

Slight valve regurgitation is not a problem.

Nor is the slightly enlarged left ventricle. Possibly caused by hypertension before going on the Losartin.

Basically this means that you are 66 and no longer 26.

In general moderate (3-4) coffee & tea drinking is good for overall heal. And most people can tolerate that amount of caffeine. Likewise with one serving (for a woman) of alcohol day is generally OK.

Based on your heart, as you report it, I don't see any need for anything other than a healthy diet, exercise, and maintaining your proper weight.

Now it is possible that the caffeine and/or alcohol does affect your sleeping. So you might want to experiment and see if that has any affect.

And sleep problems is a big risk factor for developing heart problems and weight gains. So you need to concentrate on the sleep problems.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It sounds like your tests don't suggest any significant heart problems at this time - it's a great opportunity to put into place those lifestyle changes to help you get healthier! Regular exercise - every day - is a big part of that. Most people do not need to reduce caffeine intake, but you might find that you will reduce calories if you consume fewer drinks (caffeinated and alcoholic) in general.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center