Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pains Around Chest Area/Left Arms In 15 year Old?
Clevaleva posted:
Hello All,

My name is Hayden, I am a Fifteen year old Male. I have recently been getting many symptoms around my chest area (and by recently i mean the past month) I am overweight, I weigh 104 Kg/229.28 lbs and am around the 180 cm mark. Also i dont exersice very much, i was planning to do a fitness program my P.E teahcer gave me to inprove my fitness for my sport (NRL Australian sport) but now i am too scared to exersice as i believe something will happen.

I have been to the doctor which told me to get a blood test and if the symptoms persist, i would be scheduled for an stress test and some other tests. I also went to the hospital once and was told reflux. On my last doctor visit I was too young to have a heart attack (Which I know is a load of rubbish) and told me it was a migrain attack since most of the symptoms were on my left sides.

These symptoms are divided into last night and long term (1 Month Max:

Last Night's - Symptoms

• Palpitations
  • Shortness of breath
  • Feeling of sledge hammer hitting chest
  • Numbness/Nausea feeling in chest (most frequent)
  • Sudden stabbing pain from left pectoral down to left hand wrist
  • Tingling feeling in left hand
  • Stabbing pain in right hand simultaneous with stabbing in right abdomen.
  • Random feelings of pins and needles around body (Ranges from feet to shoulders)
  • Abdominal pain on left and right sides inlign with the belly button, feels like its about to bust/Left side gets stabbing pain
  • To the left of the left nipple a stabbing pain
  • Feeling of muscle strain in left arm
  • Random stabbing pains in neck
  • Choking feeling in neck

Longtime Symptom's

• Random feelings of pins and needles around body (Ranges from feet to shoulders) (1 Week)
  • Numbness/Nausea in chest (About 1 month)
  • 1-5 Palpitations per hour (Most was about 20 in about 6 seconds)
  • Left arm pains; Stabbing, tingling and Muscle strain. ( 3 Days Ago)
  • Bleeding from nose (Only once happened 1 week ago)
  • When biting down with jaw left ear would hurt. (Started about 2 weeks ago stopped last week)
  • A headache in the temple area, on both sides. When moving the jaw the left side pain would raise in intensity but the left side would stay.(5 Days ago, various small stabbing pains in the same area that aren't affected by a moving jaw)
  • Popping noises in right ear along with frequently being able to hear a swooshing heartbeat. (Last friday began)
  • Tingling on face, centered around nose, lips and chin (One immense session, others only last a short while, 1 week)
  • Upper back pain Near the shoulderblades. (Since end of november)
  • Abdominal pains, more frequently on the left side while the right side emits more intense pain. (About 1 week ago)
  • Stabbing pains in throat (Started about 3 days ago)
  • Stiffness feeling in the back of the neck. (2 Days ago)
  • Weakness (2 Weeks)
  • Nausea feeling in stomach. (Not as frequent as Nausea in chest region)
  • Pains on left and right jaw. (3 Weeks)
  • Inability to bend over without taking a large breath. (Since start, end of November)

deadmanwalking57 responded:
Jeez.

When did ANY of the symptoms start. Please provide a timeline of the progression of symptoms, and a description of your typical week, including what you eat, TV you watch, video games you play.

You should try to walk, slowly at least. Changing to a low fat, low salt diet with lots of fruit and vegetables is a given.

If you've really screwed up your body, relax. Your health can only improve. Now you should just relax and laugh at the bad choices you have been making.

Clevaleva replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
All the symptoms started around the 27th of November. No symptoms seem to progress or become more frequent, but they pick up at night-time usually after a hot shower. Most symptoms started around the 27th of November while the arm pains, choking feeling and various pins and needles started around the 27th of December

My typical week of food comprises of meat such as steak, pork and occasionly lamb. Other foods i could eat are Pastas. I eat absolutely no fruit, i have been cursed with the ability to hate the taste of everything i eat, On video games id say i spend 8-12 A day playing. I watch tv about 1 hour before going to sleep which i go to sleep around 3-5am and wake up at around 2-4pm.

My blood test results came back good besides i slightly high Cholesterol, a low total of what he called good Cholesterol. The opinion still stands about Reflux and that it has been coupled with stress, but i feel like this opinion is wrong (no offence to my doctor). I can be completely calm when these symptoms hit which doesn't make sense to me.

deadmanwalking57 replied to Clevaleva's response:
Clevaleva:
No fruit. That is asking for trouble. Fruit is extremely high in nutrition and anti-oxidants. You need to work on cultivating a taste for fruit. Try freezing fresh berries. they will not be too hard to eat, and there may be less taste.

With no fruit and their anti-oxidants, a mostly meat with saturated fat diet, video games and no exercise, its possible you could have very bad arterial blockages.

Do you drink any juice ? Likely not, soda or nothing, right ?

Your taste buds are retrained to fatty foods, which is a terrible thing to do to yourself, since there is essentially no nutrition at all outside of the protein. Your body will try to synthesize what it can of what it needs

What are the actual good and bad cholesterol numbers ? The ratio of the two is important. For good health, it should be under 2.5, the lower the better. Mine at time of surgery for near total blockages of all three major arteries was 4.0.

Try to get in some exercise time, even if just walking around inside the house for 20 minutes three times a day. Do not walk so fast you get any chest pain. Slow down or stop if you do get chest pain.

I suggest you get a notebook and write down a daily log of all you do, and eat, and any associated pains, or times free of pain. If constant pain, I would think part of that is from nothing but fatty meat, meal after meal without a break. Cut the meat servings down to ONE piece each meal, and that half the size of the palm of your hand. Start buying some whole grain bread, and have some with meals. Please, no butter. Put hummus on your bread. Its is a spread made from garbanzo beans. I even enjoy bread with nothing on it.

Buy juice to drink.

Let's see if you don't start feeling better in a few weeks.

Clevaleva replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Cheers for the tips, i will try that frozen berry idea or at least a semi-bearable tasting fruit and hopefully develop a liking for the taste of fruit. On the drinking question, sadly i dont drink much juice, but a month ago when the pains began i completely stopped drinking soft-drink and only drinking water. And would Orange Juice suffice? or are there better options avaliable?

Also, if i can remember correctly my cholesterol number was between 2.5-3.0, which my doctor said was slightly high and that i should go on a low fat diet. That tip with the meat will go well thanks, i usually ate around 3 pieces the size of my complete hand, and if it was pork i would eat until full.

Onto that wholegrain bread, Would vegimite be okay as the spread?, because i love it (Supposedly rich in Vitamin B1 B2 B3 And Folate). Also what serving would you recommend with a meal, 1 Slice?

That notepad idea would seem a bit out of the way for me as i dont tend to keep habits sadly. Thanks for informing me about what i can do to better my health, its nice to see people who look out for others because they don't want them in the same position they were in. I also hope your good health will continue and that you will not have any problems in the future.

billh99 replied to Clevaleva's response:
A cholesterol of 3.0 mmol/l converts to 116 mg/dl which is the units used in the US.

If this is total cholesterol then it is on the low side. If this is LDL then for an adult it is normal, but optimum is under 100. I am not sure about someone 15, but the ideal might be a little lower. But 116 is probably not a concern.

Vegimite is not common in the US, from Wiki;

Vegemite is one of the world's richest known sources of B vitamins , specifically thiamine , riboflavin , niacin and folic acid , but unlike Marmite and some other yeast extracts, it contains no vitamin B12 . The main ingredient of Vegemite is yeast extract , which contains a high concentration of glutamic acid . Vegemite does not contain any fat, added sugar or animal content. Vegemite contains gluten.[15>
Vegemite contains 3.45% sodium, which equates to a salt content of approximately 8.6%.[16> [17> Australia only defines low salt foods, but by UK standards Vegemite is classified as a high salt content food.[18>
Vegemite contains 2.3% potassium.[19>

I don't see it as bad, but it is probably more along the lines, in terms of nutrition to what you are already eating.

While some would be OK, I would try and look for other vegetable based spreads. You might try hummus. And that is bean based, but a little closer towards a better diet.

One snack that I like is slices of apple spread with peanut butter. You might try that with the peanut butter, almond butter, or the vegimite.

I don't know what kind of meals are prepared in your home, but a google search on recipe hiding vegetables in food gives lots of suggestions. Repeating that search with with fruits also gives some ideas.

In the meantime you might also want to take a 1 a day type of multi vitamin.

deadmanwalking57 replied to Clevaleva's response:
You can have a few slices of whole grain bread every day. Lots of fiber, which will bind some of the fat in other foods, so it is not absorbed.

Excess meat tastes good going in, but just puts more protein in the toilet, since your body can not absorb that much that fast.

Orange juice is ok, better for hot weather with its rich potassium.

Pomegranate juice is likely best since a daily regimen will help shrink blockages based on gaining extra paraoxonase. Its a slow process, but better slow shrinking than slow further strangulation of your heart.

I hope you can get breaks to walk every day. You don't need to get tired, in fact should avoid it. But week by week add a SMALL amount more. If you start with two 5 minute walks daily, and add 1 minute each week. In just over a year you'll be having two one hour walks every day.

You are very welcome.

People tell me pomegranate juice is expensive. I point out I can buy 1000 bottles and it last 20 years or so, or pay about the same toward my funeral.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Coffee Can Lower Depression Risk in WomenGuest Expert
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576594853506227020.html More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center