Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rapid heart rate and tremors
EW4567 posted:
This may be an unusual question, but I don't know where else to turn. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 7 years ago and was put on Toprol xl. My meds for Parkinsons's never have worked real well, but recently not at all. I;ve noticed that in the past week, for some reason if I forgot to take my toprol my tremors are much worse and Parkinson's meds do absolutely nothing. Is rapid heart related to Parkinson's or could I be diagnosed wrong. What do you suggest? Thank you.
EW

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi EW:

"I've noticed that in the past week, for some reason if I forgot to take my toprol my tremors are much worse."

As reported, beta-blockers, such as Toprol-XL, when taken as directed, may/can be effective in treating/controlling certain types of tremors (familial or hereditary essential tremors).

"Is rapid heart related to Parkinson's"

Not typically, though in studies, it was reported that some PD patients experience tachycardia (heart rate over 100 beats per minute).

Also, there have been reports of Parkinson's tremor-induced electrocardiogram artifact (false reading), such as mimicking ventricular taychardia (VT).

"Or could I be diagnosed wrong?"

Anything is possible today.

Mayo Clinic

Parkinson's disease

Tests and Diagnosis

No tests exist to diagnose Parkinson's disease. Your doctor will diagnose Parkinson's disease based on your medical history, a review of your signs and symptoms, and a neurological and physical examination. Your doctor sometimes may order tests to rule out other conditions that may be causing your symptoms.

In addition to your examination......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/parkinsons-disease/DS00295/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center