Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
high cholesterol but dont want to take meds
David_Mullrey posted:
I have very high cholesterol 317, and low vitamin d I also have celiac disease but on a strict gluten free diet or 5 years. My total cholesterol/Hdl ratio is2.86. My Hdl/LDL ratio is .585 and my triglyceride /Hdl ratio is .748. my md wants me to take medication ; i do not want to take medication. Is it worth to try first some other methods? from other forums I got recomendation for book http://winningwithhighcholesterol.co...-order-a-book/ . Any suggestions?

billh99 responded:
Other than the TC/HDL I am not familiar with those ratios. If I did the numbers correctly your LDL is 189 which is VERY HIGH.

And your non-LDL is 207 is VERY HIGH and some thing that is the most important parameter.

About that book.

First of all Dr. Dwight Lundell has lost his MD license.
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html

And he is right that cholesterol is vital to health. But so it water. But normally healthy people can die from too much water. And people with some disease needed to tightly control their water intake and in some case take medicines to get rid of excess water.

This is somewhat similar to cholesterol - you need some, but too much can be a problem.

And he is right that inflammation is an important part of heart disease. But one of the things that statins does is to lower inflammation.

By the way, although is discounts statins, he also sells Lipitor and Crestor through his web site by a "pharmacy" that does not even list a physical address. And they sell a generic "Crestor" and no generic Crestor is approved in the US.

But foods with anti-oxidants also helps reduce inflammation. Eating a large combination of colorful (red, yellow, blue, purple) veggies and fruits also helps.

Back to your cholesterol I would first suggest getting your vit D level up. And, if not already done, verify that your thyroid levels are good.

Then you might want to get a CT coronary calcium scan (Cardio Scan). They typically not covered by insurance and can cost several hundred, but many hospitals offer then form $50. That indicates how much calcium deposits that in the heart arteries and thus related to the plaque forming.

And advanced lipid test that gives the number of particles with LDL cholesterol. That appears to indicate the risk much better than the total amount of cholesterol.

And there are test indicating how which your level of inflammation is.

With the above information along with thinks like your family history and things like your weight, diet, and exercise level you can better discuss what level of risk that you have. And see if the risk is high enough to take meds.

Dwp77009 responded:
I have similar symptoms, low vitamin d, 25, and rising LDL. You may want to ask your doctor why your body is making more cholesterol and see what he says. I know it's been a while, but curious to see where you are now. There are theories that statins will end up causing other hormone deficiencies like low T. I see the stores popping up now too. Just theories though. If like me you are constantly sweating, salivating, tired, irritable, you may consider toxic metals testing. Mine shows very high in mercury, lead and silver. If like me you also google anything about toxic metal testing google always returns a quackwatch article saying it is a quack. You may want to read about google organic search manipulation. I was suspicious to me since I am I programmer. The number of links to that article and site posted everywhere in huge numbers is strange. It will also increase googles page rank. If you are just curious like me, just get the tests and see. Definitely worth the 100 bucks. I don't plan on doing any chelation, just eliminating the sources and letting my body do the rest. Curious, so you have fillings or eat a lot of fish?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center