Skip to content
Young going crazy?
HammySession posted:
I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks currently I'm 25 y/o,male, non-smoker and severely obese which I'm working to correct. I have had 7 EKG's in the last year, 4 blood workups, a stress test and echo done. All came back fine, and eventually with increased prozac the symptoms went away.

I now have the same symptoms that presented 3 months ago. Sharp stabbing pain on and off for a few minutes at a time. Left arm pressure better by changing position of the arm. I went to my GP and had another EKG done and it was when I was having those pains and the EKG showed nothing new and everything was as it should be. He said with a stress test just 3 months ago and my lipid profile good I should be ok but my fear won't go away. Can anyone help me?

billh99 responded:
Have you tried anything other than prozac to help with the anxiety?

Some things that help include exercise, even walking - specially in a natural surroundings (nature path).

Relaxation exercises such as deep breathing, yoga, meditation, and guided imagery. The book Relaxation Response, by Herbert Benson, is a good place to start.

Bio-feed back.

Sometime a councilor helps. Both to help learn the relaxation exercises and/or to learn the triggers of the anxiety.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I have had 7 EKGs in the last year, 4 blood workups, a stress test and echo done. All came back fine,"

"I went to my GP and had another EKG done and it was when I was having those pains and the EKG showed nothing new and everything was as it should be."

Credit goes to you for having those particular diagnostics performed thus far, especially since, of the various types of heart conditions, some which may occur at ANY AGE, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic), or even be silent

Prevention is the KEY!

With that said, It has been known for quite some time now that atherosclerosis begins (the process/progression of) at a very early age, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years.

Studies performed in the past have shown fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) as the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

A study in the prestigious NEJM showed just how prevalent this problem is. Researchers performed autopsies on young soldiers who had died in combat from conditions other than CAD.

Almost all the individuals had fatty streaks in the aorta. 50% of individuals under the age of 16 years and 85% of individuals under the age of 40 had them in their coronary arteries. More advanced atheroscleotic blockages were found in 30% of individuals under 20 years and 60% of individuals under 40 years old.

The prevalence of these lesions directly correlated with increasing body weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. Cigarette smokers also had more widespread blockages.

......"and severely obese which I'm working to correct"

Lose weight sensibly and keep ALL other known modifiable risk factors closely in-check.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

Heart-Healthy Foods

AVOID foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

WebMD

Choosing a Weight-Loss Program

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program

The Diet Channel

http://www.thedietchannel.com

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

bobby75703 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
My sister eats lots of meat and vegetables and some fruits. But absolutely no breads. She dropped from 160lbs down to 120lbs and is 1970's skinny.

I have no idea what her cardiovascular health looks like, but she has kept the weight off by aggressively avoiding breads and sugar.

She is 61 years old, and has her teenage body back.

HammySession responded:
Just to start out I'm not a doctor of medicine, just an artificial intelligence guy.

Thanks for the advice. Went to the doctor again they prescribed anti anxiety medicine and it seems to have worked in terms of symptoms going away. But through my extensive research of reading papers in heart disease journals I've come up with a good game plan to hopefully head it off at the pass so to speak.

About 30% (I'm one of them) have certain mutations on the 9p21 gene*, although these mutations are not well studied in small sample sizes they show a marked increase in heart disease. To get around this interestingly enough is to follow a fresh fruit/vegetables/lean meat diet. This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective due to the areas where these genes proliferate have early agriculture and marked decrease in meat consumption, else this gene would have eventually been changed (I'm greatly simplifying but its the gist of it).

So the plan is just eat healthy fruits/ vegetables/ lean meats. Work out intense 30 min per day 5 days a week (heart rate about the 70% area). Monitor cholesterol,blood pressure,blood glucose and probably get some kind of scan or stress test every so often. There are also some supplementation issues I'm currently exploring in that it seems the fruits/ vegetables tend to increase folic acid and B vitamin levels which help formation of homocysteine which parts of the gene's on 9p21 seem to encode. So raising these levels through supplementation in addition to the diet/exercise should impact the progression of the disease. Hopefully medical science comes up with some engineered organism to clean out arteries but until then I have to stick to this plan.

Thanks again

*Still fuzzy on this as medical journals tend to use frequentist statistics to "prove" things, when really they should be using bayesian methods but that's a philosophical discussion best left to those smarter than I

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center