Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rapid heart rate
tabitha64 posted:
My mother has been complaining of pain in right groin, with difficulty in mobility. Swelling in both legs with weeping clear fluid. History of DVT, enlarged right ventricle. Blood pressure is 110/60. She is going to doctor on Thursday for scan of heart and groin. Anything she should mention to doctor to help or should she go soon to get further testing?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"She is going to doctor on Thursday for scan of heart and groin".

Excellent.

......"enlarged right ventricle"

"Swelling in both legs with weeping clear fluid."

Peripheral edema (swelling/fluid build-up in the extremities, such as the legs) can sometimes seep or trickle through the pores of the skin, known as "weeping edema", which has has specific causes, including certain cardiovascular drugs and heart failure.

Best of luck to your mother down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affects your heart and sometimes the blood vessels......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR questions and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who and ASK the mostQUESTIONS, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

tabitha64 responded:
I forgot to mention the most important information her pulse use to run between 60 - 80 and B/P 140-80 -160-90. Now blood pressure fine and pulse running between 90-118. Given lasix for weeping edema. I am afraid her doctor is not seeing the warning signs and I want to turn him in the right direction. Please help.

cardiostarusa1 replied to tabitha64's response:
"I am afraid her doctor is not seeing the warning signs and I want to turn him in the right direction."

Do address your concerns to her doctor.

Did she get that scan of heart and groin?

......"and pulse running between 90-118"

Normal resting heart/pulse rate is 60-100 beats per minute (BPM). In women, the average resting heart/pulse rate is 78-84 BPM. Over 100 BPM is tachycardia (fast heart rate), which has various causes and can its occurrence can be appropriate/expected and inappropriate/unexpected.

CardioStar*

-

-

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

tabitha64 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Yes she has, she was told she has multiple superficial blood clots. She is waiting to see Cardiologist for result of heart scan. I want her to have full check up, testing heart, check for cancer, reason for multiple superficial blood clots and check for PAD. I have a lot of concerns and now answers. I do not live close to her so I am helping from afar. Someone please help.

cardiostarusa1 replied to tabitha64's response:
"She was told she has multiple superficial blood clots."

Superficial vein (close to the surface of the skin, as opposed to the deep veins) blood clots typically does not cause weeping edema in the legs.

"I have a lot of concerns and no answers."

"I do not live close to her so I am helping from afar"

The Internet has serious limitations and restrictions, and while you can certainly communicate/express concerns and worries with her doctors via the phone, it is ultimately up to your mom to be assertive (which sometimes means being aggressive), to be her own best health advocate.

CardioStar*

-

-

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center