Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
? for Dr on lab work and possible unstable plaque
cvcman posted:
I had a stent in my lad over 2 yrs ago,no mi...It was a 4mm current labs are hdl=120, ldl=80, trys=50....I exercise everyday and my weight is 141 pounds and im a 5'8" tall 53 yr old male...I take Simvistatin and a full strength aspirin everyday.
I eat good on top of my should my LDL be lower or does my high HDL negate that ?

Also, how do I know if I have unstable plaque and if I do how is that treated ? I feel fine, resting heart rate is in the 40's and bp is 117/71

If I keep my labs like this and continue with exercise can I expect a long life ?
James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
We currently recommend targeting a goal of LDL < 70 in people who have a known history of coronary artery disease - although you are pretty close! And it's true that a high HDL is considered somewhat protective. However, I would interpret this in the context of your history of coronary artery disease.

Cardiologists generally do not recommend routine invasive testing to look at coronary plaques with ultrasound. If you are asymptomatic and active, it suggests that you are less likely to have obstructive plaque in other vessels.

I'm so glad that you are exercising - many people don't realize that a good exercise program is one of the best treatments for people with heart disease - exercising daily should lower your risk of future heart problems.
billh99 responded:
Just one comment.

One of the "side effects" of statins is that it is reported to help stabilize plaque.

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center