Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
artery size
hearty1 posted:
I had a quad bypas on December 31, 2012. one thing I was told is that my arteries were unusually underdeveloped; the doctor said I had the smallest arteries she had ever seen in a man of my stature...6'4" IN height. My surgery went 15 minutes shy of 10 hours because she had difficulty finding donor arteries. How common is such a thing and is this hereditary.

The awesome thing is that my recovery is amazing. Surgery was at 8AM and by 4AM I was transferred to a chair. I only used a walker one time and on my 3rd walk I did it alone. I was encouraged to walk as much as I wanted to...so I did.

I am just over 6 weeks post surgery and I feel great. I can't wait for my rehab to start, and of course get back to work. My scare is fading already, but not really concerned with that. I still tire if I am running around doing errands after about 4 hours, but my need for naps has pretty much stopped. I do get a little teary eyed when someone acknowledges their concern, at the notice of my surgery, which surprises me as I am not a mushy gushy person...but I just allow myself the permission to let it flow. I have spoken with others that say it will subside in about 3 months or so.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
So happy that you are having a good recovery - and it's fantastic that you are being so active. Many people are more emotional after surgery - and some are depressed too. That's understandable, and well recognized. I think your expectations are reasonable. Small arteries may be present in people with diabetes, although sometimes in people without diabetes as well. In any case, best wishes for a continued recovery.

hearty1 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thanks for the reply, Dr. Beckerman. Yes, in my case I do not have diabetes. I guess it is just the way they are.

I have another question that I don't think is related but one never knows. As long as I can remember, I have sweated profusely. When i say this, I mean running down my face, neck, and just about every where. Just preparing dinner makes me break out in a sweat. My Cardiologist said it is unrelated, so whom would I see to find out the cause?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center