Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When does it stop
Anon_6664 posted:
I have had 2 more heart ablations 5/2012 & 7/2012 they did last but the fast rate came back within of 5 wks apart. I attempted to try a blood pressure drug Lisinopril 2mg again, but unfortunately the side effects were rough. this afternoon I had an other Echo cardiogram and the tech asked me what I had in my surgery based on my open heart scar. I told her they removed 2 aortic aneurysms. She asked me if anyone indicated watching a aortic dissection tear? I told her I do not know what that is?
Have you ever heard of anyone like "me" who constantly has an issue? I honestly thought I was finished 2007. I do not call the doctors, but they do contact me every 3-6 months. What will it take for all of this to end.
thank you

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

An aortic dissection is a tear or rip in the wall of the aorta, which sometimes can be fatal.

The aorta (largest artery in the human body, shaped somewhat like a cane) is about 1" in diameter. Identifiable parts or sections of the aorta include the aortic root, ascending (goes upward) aorta, aortic arch (curved portion at the top of the aorta), descending aorta (going downward), thoracic aorta (chest area) and the abdominal aorta (stomach area

About ablations

Especially with improving older standard radiofrequency energy (heat-based) technology, as well as newer technology cryoenergy/freezing, and high-intensity focused ultrasound, if/when performed by a highly-skilled doctor (IC/EP), via standard endocardial or transthoracic epidcardial, and done correctly (no culprit areas, pathways are missed, no normal areas are damaged or disrupted, the culprit tissue is ablated deep enough), a catheter ablation procedure should completely (100%) eliminate one's particular arrhythmia for good.

Noteworthy though, according to medical literature, approximately under 10% of the time, an arrhythmia may recur (at any time) even after what was thought as being an initially successful (single site or multiple sites mapped and treated accordingly) catheter ablation.

This occurs because the abnormal heart cells or electrical pathway responsible for the arrhythmia was damaged, but not 100% therapeutically destroyed by the procedure. As this area heals, the original arrhythmia may reccur. Also, an ablation procedure may/can lead to the occurrence of a totally different type of arrhythmia, sometimes making pacemaker implantation necessary.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and questions. Studies show that patients who ASK the most QUESTIONS, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

gailci replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you for the amazing information you have given me. Hopefully tomorrow my cardiologist will call me and re-do the echo to make sure there is no tears etc.
This website answers all the questions, that I cant remember when im with my doctor.
sincerely

cardiostarusa1 replied to gailci's response:
You're welcome.

Take extra-extra good care,

C-Star*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center