Skip to content
chest pain and other symptoms
lionbaby73 posted:
Hello. Ive been a high blood pressure sufferer for about 9yrs now, well last week I was hospitalized for 2 days for observation with symptoms of hbp, chest pain, light headedness, nausea/vomiting, headache & fatigue. Well they did an echocardiogram & stress tests and the results were 'hardening of the heart walls' the doc sent me home and told me to stop taking the norvasc & the diovan but to continue taking the metoprolol, that was it. Well it's been 6 days since Ive been home and here Iam again with the same symptoms. The doc made it sound like it was no big deal and not to worry about it but I'm not feeling well at all! I checked my bp earlier and it was high. Should I worry? I dont want to go to the hospital again for nothing.
ps. Ive been taking diovan, norvasc & metoprolol for years.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"the results were 'hardening of the heart walls' "

Heart walls may/can become thickened or hypertrophic (in which there is an asociation of some degree of hardening) or enlarged (dilated). High blood pressure is a major cause of this.

"Well it's been 6 days since I've been home and here I am again with the same symptoms / I'm not feeling well at all!"

"I checked my bp earlier and it was high."

How high was it?

"Should I worry?"

Yes, of course.

You have to be your own best health care advocate.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

cardiostarusa1 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Addtional info

As applicable to the patient, there is a specific condition known as diastolic dysfunction (DD), also known as left ventricular diastolic dysfunction (LVDD) or diastolic heart failure (DHF), that can develop if/when the heart's walls stiffen (become non-compliant), in which the heart can't fill up normally/has trouble/difficulty filling up with blood during diastole (diastolic, the heart's relaxation or resting phase).

CardioStar*

lionbaby73 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you for the information. My blood pressure was 179/115 then it gradually went down to 151/101 is this something I should discuss with my family? anything they should be aware of?

cardiostarusa1 replied to lionbaby73's response:
You're welcome.

"My blood pressure was 179/115 then it gradually went down to 151/101."

"Is this something I should discuss with my family?"

Yes, of course.

Areported, the complex human body is usually able to keep blood pressure (BP) within safe/acceptable limits, but sometimes changes in lifestyle, health, side effects from prescription drugs, or changes in metabolism, make this difficult. This can cause the BP to become consistently higher or lower than normal, or just spike up and then drop down.

Compensatory mechanisms that control BP involves changing the diameter of veins and small arteries (arterioles), the amount of blood pumped out from the heart per minute (cardiac output), and the volume of blood in the vessels.

High BP, temporary or chronic, may/can be related to various heart disorders, kidney problems, and sometimes liver, or adrenal gland problems. One's susceptibility to develop it can even be caused by an imbalance somewhere within the body's precise regulating systems.

Normal resting BP in adults is under 120/80 with 115/75 or 110/70 considered as being optimal/ideal. Prehypertension is defined as systolic of 120-139 mmHg and diastolic of 80-89 mmHg. Stage 1 is systolic of 140-159 and diastolic of 90-99. Stage II is systolic of 160-179 and diastolic of 100-109. Stage III is systolic greater than 180 and diastolic greater than 110. Stage IV systolic of 210 and greater, and diastolic of 120 and greater.

Health dangers from blood pressure vary among different age groups and depending on whether systolic or diastolic pressure (or both) is elevated, and for how long.

Elevated blood pressure, isolated diastolic hypertension, isolated systolic hypertension and diastolic/systolic hypertension, increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and renovascular disease.

High systolic blood pressure appears as a significant indicator for heart complications, including death, in all ages, but especially in middle-aged and older adults.

High diastolic pressure is a strong predictor of heart attack and brain attack in young adults and in those of any age with essential hypertension, high blood pressure from unknown causes, which occurs in the great majority of cases

Additionally, pulse pressure is important, This is the difference between systolic and diastolic. Usually, the resting (in sitting position) pulse pressure in healthy individuals is 40 mmHg, give or take a bit. A wide or narrow pulse pressure is not good.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center