Skip to content
pancake heart
sdesde43 posted:
Has anyone ever heard of a pancake heart? What is this condition?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

Haven't heard that one before, though sometimes, we hear what appears as an unconventional/odd type of description, such as one example being, a post quite some time ago, that mentioned a frosty (frosted) heart, which in actuality, was referring to a condition in which the pericardium (thin membranous sac that surrounds and protects the heart) is thickened, making the heart have an appearance as it were frosted like a cake.

Other terminology used to describe a particular heart condition includes enlarged or dilated, flabby or fatty, stiff/stiffened (non-compliant) or hard, hypertrophic (wall thickening) or muscle-bound, restrictive, infiltrative, and obliterative.

Take care,

CardioStar☆

WebMD community member (8/99)

-

☛ WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
I'm not sure, although it sounds delicious. If you get more information, feel free to post again and we can try to figure it out!

SnowWhiteis2 responded:
Yes. I have a pancake heart. I have a dove shaped chest which compresses my heart (pancakes) and causes a systolic click. From what I understand, the blood is pumped out of my heart then due to the compression of my heart, a portion of the blood flows back into my heart. At first, my Cardiologist diagnosed me with Mitro-valve prolapse due to the click.

cardiostarusa1 replied to SnowWhiteis2's response:
Very interesting. Thank you for your post.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

It's your future......be there.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

Haven't ever heard of a Pancake Heart.Shall be obliged if you post necessary information on it on WebMD.But do you at all taste pancakes on Shrove Tuesday after the Lent?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center