Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Aorta is atherosclerotic
Debsbears posted:
Just curious about this comment that I saw on a CT abdomen and Pelvis w/IV Contrast Aorta is atherosclerotic but normal in caliber.

I have been having a lot of pain in my RUQ as well as lower RQ. They did find distended loops of the intestines. Which my Dr told me about but never mentioned anything about my aorta or my partially collapsed right lung.

If my aorta is normal in caliber is this an okay thing?

I have just had my lipids done and they are total choes is 147 and my A1c is 5.4%. So I guess I don't understand this can you just tell me if I am okay?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Aorta is atherosclerotic"

As reported, while atherosclerosis or calcification (as seen on CT imaging or X-ray, described as an organized, regulated process similar to bone formation that occurs only when other aspects of atherosclerosis/plaque buildup are also present) in the aorta usually doesn't cause problems there, due to the large size of the artery, it may/can be indicative of a problem going on in other critical smaller arteries, such as the coronary arteries (heart) the carotid arteries (neck), and the peripheral arteries (legs).

"normal in caliber"

This is self-explanatory.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

It's your future......be there.

Debsbears replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thanks so much - I didn't think it was a big deal for me because my total choles... is 147, but my Dr will keep an eye on it. My Cardio doc took me off my statins just for 6 mos to see my levels - I was told not to change my diet to see if my choles problem is truly genetic as I was told.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
A CT scan can identify calcium and sometimes non-calcified plaque in blood vessels which can be suggestive of atherosclerosis, the process which can cause coronary artery disease and heart attacks. Interestingly, a research study was just reported this weekend in which CT scans were performed on mummies from thousands of years ago. Calcifications were identified, suggesting that even in our ancestors, cardiovascular disease was likely present, despite a very different diet/activity lifestyle.

Debsbears replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thank you for your input.

The reason I bought this up is because when one reads online they hear kinds of things - but also my mom passed away at 50 from a massive heart attack, and my dad had 4 heart attacks before he was 60 but passed away from colon cancer.

So heart problems run in my family as does cholesterol problems - that for me is genetic and the need for statins is a must no matter how low my fat content is.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center