Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stressing over Symptons
TisonC posted:
Hello everyone !!
I am a 43yo old Male and I am having some issues that are scaring me alot!
I am a civilian contractor and I am currently working out here in Afghanistan. I will be heading home on April 1st to live back in the states for 2 months then I will come back out here for another 2 months.
My issues are the following:
Prior to being allowed to come out here I had to go through a very thorough physical. My lab results came back to show that I had a low (30) HDL count and a Borderline High LDL count. I also had a higher blood pressure than I have been used to all my life (soccer player). So I had to go and take a stress test. I did pretty well on the stress test actually, the doc said I lasted longer than most on it. It only noted that I had a small arrhythmia and that its normal in most people and usually nothing to concern myself with unless other things started to happen.
Anyway, since getting out here I have been experiencing frequent chest pains. As a matter of fact one of my first days out here I had to go see the local military doc because I felt like I was having a heart attack. The Doc asked me a lot of questions and put me on the EKG he even stated that he didn't think I was having one as he works back home in a ER and can spot a heart attack a mile away. So after being on the EKG and a constant pulse reading he said I was fine and it was mostly likely an anxiety/panic attack, funny thing is I didn't feel that way at all.
Well since that I have not had an episode like that BUT I am still having some chest pains that come and go. One day I will be fine and the next I will feel like I pulled all the muscles in my chest. I don't feel like someone is sitting on my chest. Its sometimes on the outside of my chest(both sides) or sometimes more centered and I actually sometimes feel a flutter in my throat and can feel my heartbeat through my chest for a few seconds.
I have been doing a lot of reading on WebMD to try and figure out what's going on but I have read everything from Emphysema(because I am a smoker ) to COPD, from heart disease to blood clots and possibly even gas in the upper chest and even pinched nerves. I am so confused about these things. I even think it could be anxiety or GERD. Like right now I almost feel a burning in my throat and chest almost like something is stuck in my throat as well. Heck it could be the mattress I sleep on causing me to wake with muscle pains from being so uncomfortable.
I have already started to change my lifestyle by eating much healthier in the Dining facility and I plan on learning to live on the Mediterranean diet when I get home. I also jumped on the Elliptical the other night and was able to go at it hard for about 30 minutes and work up a good sweat. I actually felt much better after that and plan on making this a habit daily. I am also quitting smoking as these issues are really starting to scare me. I just hope it's not too late!!
I am making an appt with my Doc as soon as I get back to the states to see about getting new blood drawn and discussing these issues I am having with him.
Has anyone ever had these issues like me?
For the professionals out there is there anything I should be watching out for? Anything I should ask My doc to check when I get back? Any professional opinions on this matter?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center