Skip to content
looking for advice please.
slreno posted:
went to emergency room on feb 25th 2013 for chest pain and shortness of breath and dizzyness. ekg and blood work came back no heart attack. doctor took xrays and was concerned about copd since i have smoked for 30 years. he came back and said xrays wasnt as bad as he thought they where going to be but he still diagnosed me with slight copd and wanted to admit me for further testing on heart, he thinks i might have blockage causing the pain and shortness of breath since almost my whole family has heart disease. but i got scared and left against medical advice. the symptoms i am having is pain in chest, feels very tight like someone is sitting on my chest and i cant catch my breath and then i get pains in the side of my neck rite at the base of my head and it makes me nauseated and sweats..[br>[br>well i went back yesterday because pain is more consistent and seems to be getting worse. it was a different doctor this time and he was very fast with me and told me to quit smoking and rushed me out of there! i went with a mind set to stay and have the test done this time and get the stints if need be. but was rushed out like i was wasting their time. he told me to get a stress test when i left. but i dont have insurance and no one will do it and bill me. should i be concerned enough to actually try another er again and hopefully find a doctor at a different er that is concerned and try to get this done at hospital or should i just wait?? i dont want to go and waste er's time and look foolish but i am very concerned about the chest pain, it is at a 5 or so in pain 1-10 it is a dull pain that is constant and especially bad if i get exerted.

i am concerned but i dont know if i am over reacting or should seek emergency help. i am a bit reluctant since i was pushed aside at the last er like it wasnt important.

slreno responded:
forgot to mention, i am also getting a feeling of my heart or something in the same area feels like its flip flopping inside.. and when it does this i am losing my breath and it takes me a few seconds to actually recover from this.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center