Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Atherosclerosis Imaging
An_246571 posted:
What does a CCS/CIMT score of 31 (84%) mean?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Please consult with your doctor.

Randomly-selected article for CIMT/CCS reference.

Carotid Intima-Media Thickness and Coronary Artery Calcium Score as Indications of Subclinical Atherosclerosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664607/

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

mmm1812 responded:
I did - and he told me my diagnosis was "a moderate amount of plaque" , and we discussed at length a treatment plan. What I was hoping for by asking here is another description of what this score means. Can you simply answer this -How do the numbers correspond to the amount of blockage (or not)? I find all of the articles I read before your response to be hard
to understand.

billh99 replied to mmm1812's response:
The problem is that those are two completely different test and from my reading they are reported in much different forms than you give.

CIMT uses ultrasound to measure the artery in the neck. The raw report indicates the size of the artery, the size of plaque and any vulnerable plaque. This is sometimes used to compute an equivalent arterial age.

I assume that the CCS is a CACS, coronary artery calcium scan. It is report in Agatston units. Sometimes it is also a percentile compared with others of your age/sex.

So I don't know what the 2 numbers that you give refer to.

Ask for the written report(s) of the two test. That should give you more details.

Note that a technician does the test. Then a doctor interprets the data and writes the report. It may or may not be your doctor and it might have been done by 2 different doctors. So you might have one or two different reports.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center