Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hypokinesia
Reneeb0813 posted:
My boss went to the doctor and had some tests done. When she went back to get find out what her tests results were they said she had Meminal Hypokinesia. Would you please tell me what the disease is and what they usally do for treatment. Thank You, Renee Beavers

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi Renee: Meminal? You mean minimal. Hypokinesia or hypokinesis = low motion, low [heart> wall motion. Hypokinesis can occur due to conditions such as cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), and heart failure, with or without the occurrence of a heart attack (myocardial infarction, MI). Treatments can include prescription drug-therapy, catheter-based and surgical-based procedures. Best of luck to your boss. Take care CardioStar* WebMD community member (8/99) - b WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Tess0711 responded:
Just recently I was diagnosed with Mild hypokinesia of anterior interventicular septum from midsegment to apex. I have no chest pains and my ECG is normal. I will undergo myocardial perfusion Imaging to confim. if the 2D echo with doppler is correct. I am still single, 47years old and a non-smoker but we have history of heart problem because my father got it and died with MI. Is it still curable? What type of medicine is best for this case? What should i avoid? thanks for your response.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: Kudos for being a non-smoker. If it is still curable/reversible depends on the actual cause. Causes of hypokinesis (hypokinesia, low wall motion) includes cardiac or myocardial ischemia (an inadequate amount of blood flow going to an area of the heart muscle/myocardium, because of one or more narrowed coronary arteries, due to coronary artery disease), heart attack (myocardial infarction, MI), or cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease, which typically leads to heart failure). The best type (and dosage) of medicine will ultimately depend on the individualized patient's response to it. Take it easy for the time being, and always communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck with your myocardial perfusion imaging test, and down the road of life. Take care CardioStar* WebMD community member (8/99) - - b Be well-informed b Coronary artery anatomy Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD) coronary artery, the most critical coronary artery next to the ultra-critical left main (LM) coronary artery. www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html i Imaging cardiac/myocardial ischemia, or heart attack b Nuclear/Isotope stress test The physician can separate a normal left ventricle, from ischemia (live muscle with flow that is compromised only during exercise) and the scar tissue of a heart attack. The distinction is made in the following way.... www.heartsite.com/html/isotope_stress.html - b Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affects coronary, carotid, peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, mutation), diabetes, (the highest risk factor), smoking (also secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure, diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP). - WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES i Acquired or Congenital (born with it) www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men b SYMPTOMS Learn to recognize your..... www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms Mayo Clinic b Cardiovascular disease 101: Understanding heart and blood vessel conditions Understanding all the different types of cardiovascular disease can be confusing. Get a basic overview of cardiovascular disease and the conditions that can affect your heart and blood vessels. www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiovascular-disease/HB00032 i LEARN ABOUT the Heart WebMD Health/The Cleveland Clinic b How the Healthy Heart Works Arteries, Chambers, Valves www.webmd.com/heart-disease/healthy-heart-works Your-Doctor b How the Heart Pumps Animated Tutorial your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html - - Health A to Z b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center