Includes Expert Content
Heart pounding pvc's after stress test..very scared need advice!
jcris123 posted:
Hey doctor hey people i had an episode of chest pain and shortness of breath about 3 weeks ago.I went to the er and they keep me for 24 hours i did a a raido/stress test here were the results:

The patient was physically stressed under standard bruce protocol treadmill reaching 88% of maxium predicted heart rate 180bpm

The left venticule is normal in size on stress and rest.Nosignificant fixed or reversible perfusion defects.No abnormal lung uptake.No focal wall motion adnormality.LVEF equals 62%
impression normal left venticular perfusion post stress..

I thought i was fine but 1 week after the test i started getting about 3-4 noticable pvc's followed by a strong pounding beat that would stop me in my tracks while walking!!

With these finding on my nuclear stress test should i be worried because my anxiety is through the roof! thx looking forward to some advise on what to do..i have taken an echo last week on advise of my pcp and dont get the results until the 19th but im freaking out!thx again!

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Congrats on what looks like a normal stress test! But your experiences also show that people can have symptoms that may be unrelated to coronary artery blockages. PVC's and other abnormal heart rhythms can cause pain, shortness of breath, and even anxiety. Generally, having PVC's and evidence of a structurally normal heart (by echocardiogram for example) should be pretty reassuring to your doctor - and you! Take care.

jcris123 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
noticed that when i smoke cigarettes i can feel the skips does tobacco contribute to pvc's Doctor...?

jcris123 responded:
ive been put on tropol by my cardiologist and did a heart holter 24 hours havent gotten the result yet but is tropol effective when it comes to pvcs ive been on it 2 days and i still seem to be getting 3-4 a day?