Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Angiogram Result
Mycardio posted:
My angiogram after a recent MI indicated no significant coronary artery disease, but, "Evidence of a significant gradient between the apical segment and the mid segment of the left ventricle with no difference in the pressure between the LVOT and the aorta." This was attributed to possible, "segmental hypertrophy cardiomyopathy." What does that mean?

I am 75. I had chronic pericarditis as a young man and had a pericardectomy when I was 27. My MI was indicated by chest pain, an abnormal ECG, and elevated troponin and CK-MB.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is characterized by an abnormal thickening in some or all of the heart muscle that can also be associated with symptoms at rest or with exertion, as well as abnormal heart rhythms.

Some people may have thickening and increased squeezing of a particular part of the heart that may result in a pressure difference within the heart between different areas.

It may make sense to discuss further with your doctor to see if an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) would be useful in visualizing your heart muscle more clearly (as an angiogram helps to visualize the cavity rather than the walls themselves).

Mycardio replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Hi, Dr. Beckerman;

Thanks for your response. I've done some research since I posted my question and your response is consistent with what I've learned. Nevertheless, I'm still curious as to the cause of the thickening. I described my experience and medical history on my blog (http://anunexpectederror.blogspot.com/2013/04/commonly-known-as-heart-attack.html ).

Given my history of pericarditis, I'm wondering whether: (1) the thickening has occurred gradually over the years due to recurrent episodes of inflammation; and (2) whether the thickening is due to episodes of myocarditis. Can you offer any advice on how this might be determined?

Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center