Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Heart Blockage
Kay1954 posted:
Dec. 23,2011 I had open heart surgery. Aorta Valve replacement. I had a Nuclear Stress test performed on Tuesday 04/09/2013..My doctor has called and told me that I have a blockage in my heart. I have to have another Cath on Thursday 04/18..How will they correct this blockage? Will I have to have open heart again?
Can anyone answer these questions?

billh99 responded:
Depending on the number, size, and location they might want to do a bypass, which would mean open heart surgery.

But many, many blockages are fixed with surgery. A catheter will be used to insert a balloon that is expanded to open the blockage and then a stent is placed to hold it open.

Often that is done during the Cath test.

Kay1954 replied to billh99's response:
Thanks Bill..I am praying that it will be stents..open heart is hell..I really do not want to go through that again

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center