Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
JeffandGop posted:
I live in Thailand and just completed a heart checkup at tbe local hospital. I've been having some pressure pain in the middle of my chest. Tests included cholesterol check, chest X-ray, Echo Cardiography, EKG, Carrotid Doppler & a CT scan.
All tests resulted in a normal condition finding. All cholesterol levels at good levels. However, the CT scan found in/at the LAD "mild to moderate stenosis at the early proximal part with small calcification, eccentric diffused severe stenosis (70%) with moderate to severe (60-70%) eccentric stenosis at the mid part with clump calcification."
The cardiologist said if the measured stenosis had been 80%+ he would have recommended a stent but would not suggest a stent given my results.
I wonder if this view is shared/consistent with US practice.
Anybody have any thoughts?
Thank you...
James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Often times when a person has an abnormal CT scan we might consider an invasive coronary angiogram to get a better sense of the severity of blockages, and sometimes perform a test called "FFR" which can better determine how likely a blockage might be to cause symptoms. That information plus your symptoms plus your current medications help your doctors decide the best way to treat you.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center