Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Warfarin medication problems.
whatitis posted:
Has anyone had any issues related to taking Warfarin in regards to the medication strength not being what is should? A family member has been having issues with it & so am I now. The strength that the pills say they are, seem much lower. Is there some place I can take a sample of their & mine (warfarin tablets) to have them checked? We are both having INR issues & we get our medication from different places. My family member was the first to think something is wrong since they are not able to maintain their INR level. Within the last two months, I am now having the same issue after being on this for 20 plus years with no problems. I was told that since this is a generic drug the measure is not as refined. But I have been on Warfarin for a very long time. I think the strength is compromised. I really want to get the pill tested. Where can I do that? Help please, as this has become a very serious issue for me now.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"The strength that the pills say they are, seem much lower."

"I think the strength is compromised."

Be sure to contact the manufacturer of the drug.

For those on Coumadin/warfarin therapy, as reported, it is best to manage this narrow therapeutic index drug according to the International Normalized Ratio (INR) guidelines.

For most clinical conditions/situations, an INR of 2.0/2.5 to 3.0 indicates the appropriate dosage. An INR above 5.0 can be dangerous. An INR of 1.0 indicates no Coumadin/warfarin effect/benefit at all.

The best way to maintain a proper (appropriate for one's specific condition) INR Coumadin/warfarin level is to basically keep one's diet (food, which includes those that contain vtamin K, and beverages), prescription drug-therapy, etc., the same from day-to-day.

As applicable, a change/changes in metabolism (or other factors and conditions) can sometimes be responsible for fluctuating/different levels of Coumadin/warfarin.

Patient resources / Be well-informed

Cleveland Clinic

Understanding Coumadin

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/drugs/Coumadin/hic_Understanding_Coumadin.aspx
Truestar

Warfarin/Coumadin

Introduction

INTERACTIONS

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/1539003.html

_ . _

Special WARNINGS about Coumadin (warfarin)

Treatment with so-called blood thinners (it actually does not do that) may increase the risk that fatty plaque will break away from the wall of an artery and lodge at another point, causing the blockage of a blood vessel. If noticing any of the following symptoms, contact your doctor immediately -

Abdominal pain; abrupt and intense pain in the leg, foot, or toes, blood in the urine, bluish mottling of the skin of the legs and hands, foot ulcers, gangrene, high blood pressure (hypertension), muscle pain, purple toes, rash, or thigh or back pain.

_ . _

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center