Skip to content
exhausted muscles after mild exercise
wolfslair posted:
I am 58,overweight,never smoked. I have always exercised since I was 12. Up until a few months ago I could do 15 push ups, rest one minute, do another set until 10 sets were done. I felt good, felt strong, not really winded or tired. NOW for about 2 months I do a couple sets of 15 then my muscles feel exhausted,I'll do maybe 12, then 8, etc. If I bend over for nay length of time, my back feels exhausted, same for my upper back if I do these row movements with bands. I have always felt good and strong, now I hardly can do a complete workout...such as they are. Am I just getting old...old AND overweight...OR does this mean there could be other problems? I also have a hard time getting air if I string a couple exercises together to make it more cardio...got quite light headed a couple of times. Any help or pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated. I will be making an appt with my doctor...but it will be some time before I see him. Thanks!!

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I also have a hard time getting air if I string a couple exercises together to make it more cardio...got quite
lightheaded a couple of times."

"Am I just getting old...old AND overweight...

One or both may/could be a factor.

"OR does this mean there could be other problems?"

It's a possibility that you may/could have developed a cardiac-related and/or pulmonary-related condition, though obviously, this can only be truly determined by a qualified doctor (or doctors) with the appropriate diagnostics.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Prevention......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

-

Heart-Healthy Foods

Nothing complicated, just plain and simple

AVOID foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

deadmanwalking57 responded:
"Getting old" is a result of less activity than you once did, and muscles that do not retain their strength as well. Increased weight is resistance, makes things more difficult.

If your diet have not been ideal, then you could have blockages slowly forming, and they are finally to a point they limit blood flow to your heart significantly. Energy for muscles, especially cardio, is completely dependent on how much blood the heart can pump and how fatigue proof your heart is.

Warming up helps oxygenate your heart, and you might be able to do more. Better to start with lighter cardio.

I had triple bypass surgery 7 years ago, and through a carefully increased exercise regimen, I am in very good shape, able to play basketball or volleyball for hours, and do sliding seat rowing as I did in college. I could be stronger, but there is only so much time in a day.

Seriously consider making your diet truly great for the sake of your health.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center