Skip to content
Long QT?
mama_karen posted:
Hi I am 44 years old and have had what has always been diagnosed as "benign PVCs" since I was in my 20s. I have never fainted though I feel flutters in my chest every day. At my checkup this week my family doctor ordered an EKG just to be sure there had been no change in my heart (my blood pressure has been up lately)

To my surprise he said that I had a long QT. I have never heard this before in all my years of heart testing. It was 484.

My daughter who is now 15 fainted 3 years ago and the doctor said she also had a borderline long QT and shouldn't take any meds to prolong it.

What is going on? Do we have this or not? It is a terrifying idea but nobody seems too concerned.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"he said that I had a long QT. I have never heard this before in all my years of heart testing. It was 484"

"What is going on? Do we have this or not?"

Good general info -

Stanford School of Medicine

Long QT syndorme

Although imaging studies, such as cardiac ultrasounds, are typically normal, patients with Long QT Syndrome have a characteristic "stretching" of one of the intervals that is measured on the electrocardiogram (ECG) that leads to the diagnosis.

This "stretching" can come and go, which often makes the diagnosis of Long QT difficult to make. Repeating the ECG at different time points is often necessary to help make the diagnosis.

http://familyheart.stanford.edu/clinics/longqt1.html

Mayo Clinic

Long QT Syndrome

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/long-qt-syndrome/DS00434

Best of luck to you and your daughter down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

It's your future.....be there.

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center