Skip to content
Stroke/Heart attack
An_251888 posted:
Please help me. I live with my best friend due to hie heart/artery condition. He is too stubborn to go to a doctor. He has, however been diagnosed with Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD). Just a little while ago I noticed he was sitting on the edge of his bed swaying. He had signs of a stroke and a heart attack, but he wouldn't let me call 911. I got him laid down/ half sitting up because he was choking. I need to know what I can do short of calling 911. He has some nitro pills, but I only a few. When should I give him one? His symptoms were: dizziness/ not knowing where he was/ choking when laid down/ short of breath/ numbness in left leg/ he said I looked far away, though I was right beside him/ He seemed to fall asleep with his eyes open/ breathing heavily/ skin felt cold and clammy, like rubber/ confusion/ etc. He wouldn't always respond when I spoke to him. Yet, he wouldn't allow me to call 911. I almost did anyway. Similar things are happening more and more frequently. He pushes himself too much, but refuses to let it control his life. He does what he wants, when he wants. He's passed out, having minor and mini strokes quite a number of times when I wasn't around. I'm extremely concerned. Please help me. Besides calling 911, what should I do when things like this happen. They usually don't last for long, that I know of. He won't tell me when he's having issues so I won't worry or call 911.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"He is too stubborn to go to a doctor."

This may/can sometimes lead to a health catastrophe.

"He had signs of a stroke and a heart attack, but he wouldn't let me call."

Regardless, you sould have made the effort to call (especially with his medical history).

"He has some nitro pills, but only a few. When should I give him one?"

He should have a good and fresh supply on hand and use as directed.

** Standrd information **

Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin is the most common vasodilator used for acute cases of angina. It works to dilate or widen the coronary arteries, increasing blood flow to the heart muscle and to relax the veins, lessening the amount of blood that returns to the heart from the body. This combination of effects decreases the amount of work for the heart.

Nitroglycerin comes in tablet or spray form. If you have angina, it is important that you keep this medication with you at all times.

Nitroglycerin must be kept in a dark container.

Keep it away from heat or moisture.

Check the expiration date on the container.

Once the container is opened, it must be replaced every 6 months.

If angina occurs...

If you have been prescribed nitroglycerin and experience angina,
stop what you are doing and rest. Take one nitroglycerin tablet and let it dissolve under your tongue, or if using the spray form, spray it under your tongue. Wait 5 minutes. If you still have angina after 5 minutes, call 911 to get emergency help.

For patients diagnosed with chronic stable angina:
If you experience angina, take one nitroglycerin tablet and let it dissolve under your tongue, repeating every 5 minutes for up to 3 tablets spanning 15 minutes. If you still have angina after taking 3 doses of nitroglycerin, call 911 to get emergency help.

Use of Aspirin with unstable chest pain: After you call 911, if you do not have a history of aspirin allergy or bleeding, emergency personnel may advise that you chew one full (325 mg) aspirin slowly. It's especially effective if taken within 30 minutes of the onset of symptoms.

Do not drive yourself to the hospital. In many cases, the emergency personnel can begin to give you heart-saving care right away.

Best of luck to your best friend and you down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

Learn about the HEART

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life and congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Prevention......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect the heart and sometimes your blood vessels......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

WebMD Health/The Cleveland Clinic

How the Healthy Heart Works

Arteries, Chambers, Valves

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/healthy-heart-works

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center