Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hereditary Heart Decease
An_251951 posted:
What can I do to avoid a heart attack when my heredity shows clearly I will have one? My father had congestive heart failure and died of a stroke at 87. Now my eldest brother has had a heart attack at age 64. He survived and received a stint, but was lucky he got to the hospital quickly. I am now 58.

billh99 responded:
It is simple, live a healthy lifestyle.

A diet low on processed and fast foods.
Limit simple simple carbs - white rice, potatoes, white flour and sugar and products made with them.

Lean protein, healthy fats from olive oil, canola oil, nuts.

And tons of fruits and vegetables.

Alcohol no more than 1-2 drinks per day.

Don't smoke.

Keep moving. At least 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5 times a week.

Maintain a healthy weight. Current research indicates that better checking BMI is figure out the waist to height ratio. The best is around 0.5

billh99 replied to billh99's response:
PS and get a checkup.

Specially for high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

And if needed treat them.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Even though around 20% of our heart disease risk is genetic, it is believed that about 80% (if not more) is related to lifestyle. So we should control the things we can (don't smoke, exercise daily, eat healthfully, treat blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol, and diabetes, and aim for a healthy weight) and not over-focus on the things we cannot (age, sex, family history). It's hard to keep those relative risks in perspective sometimes, but very important to focus on what you can impact in your own life.

Duffy4569 responded:
My father had a heart attack in his late 40's and a stroke in his 60's but he survived both. He did not exercise and ate too much red meat. I am 75 and have been on an exercise regimen for 35 - 40 years and eat more fish than red meat. If you exercise and maintain a healthy weight you should be OK.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

It is really difficult to predict from beforehand but you do have a slight chance of contracting heart disease.You need to undertake light aerobic exercises,cut down alcohol consumption and stop smoking.You need to eat green leafy vegetables and drink plenty of water.Sardines,tuna,mackerels are good for a healthy heart.Do not worry and stick to a fat free,non spicy,low sodium Mediterranean diet.Do not consume junk food like saussages and burgers.get yourself chaecked by a cardiologist and follow his advice.

deadmanwalking57 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
I read one cardiology practice's review of 20 years of literature, and they believe the genetic factor may be as low as 1 in 500, a small fraction of 20%.

I have four siblings, and so far I am the only one with a serious heart issue. Father and grandfather both had heart attacks at about age 57. The older was a five pack a day smoker. My Dad a lot of stress.

AidenLL responded:
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil)
I prefer canadian products because they have the best quality harp seal oil omega3 products.
(Canadian Omega 3 or Newfoundland Omega 3 Premium)

Omega-3 - Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Weight Loss, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Depression, ADHD, and Cancer

Why Seal Oil >>>(better than) fish oil ?

The superiority of Seal Oil
Seal oil is a superior source of omega-3 compared to fish in many ways.
DPA is present at very low levels in fish oils relative to EPA or DHA
but is most as important as either the EPA or the DHA. Seal oil can supply up to ten times more DPA than fish oils.
About a third of the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids circulating in human blood is attributable to DPA.
Because of this, DPA has become of interest to medical researchers in both France and Japan.
It seems that in the blood vessel walls, EPA may actually be converted to DPA as the effective agent.
Japanese researchers at the Tokyo Medical and Dental University in Tokyo have shown that the one stimulating effect of EPA on endothelial cell migration occurs via DPA, which may act as a powering anti-atherogenic factor. Although it has been believed
that EPA is the key in producing prostaglandin that keeps the artery wall soft and free of plaque, DPA may be 10-20 times more powerful than EPA in this effect. Seal oil is the ONLY supplement rich in natural DPA.
With the exception of seal oil, the highest incidence of DPA is in human breast milk. Deficiencies in omega-3 PUFAs such as DPA may result in impaired development of visual acuiry and motor skills, according to several studies. The relative proportions of omega-3 PUFA in most fish oils does not correspond well with that of human breast milk, but seal oil has a more similar compositional structure.
The absorption of seal oil into human body is easier and more through than fish oils.
Seal oil is virtually free of cholesterol while many fish oils are relatively high in cholesterol.
Fish oil is susceptible to oxidization whereas seal oil is more resistant to natural oxidative processes.

Omega-3 in disease prevention
- Heart disease: Research has indicated that omega-3 can reduce the risk of primary cardiac arrest by 70%, by reducing blood vessel blockages. Other work (Dr. Leof of Harvard Medical School) has found that PUFAs can prevent sudden death from irregular heart beats following a heart attack.
Another study has found that a diet rich in omega-3 can reduce chances of a second (fatal) heart attack by 30%.
The results are primarily from the fact that omega-3 makes the walls of the blood vessels smoother and more elastic thus reducing vessel blockages that are often the cause of heart problems.
- Mental Illness: A British study claims that up to 80% of schizophrenics are deficient in unsaturated fatty acids like omega-3. Omega-3 deficiency has also been liked to depression and general mental deterioration.
- Arthritis: More than a dozen studies confirm that omega-3 offers anti-inflammatory relief for arthritis sufferers.
- Diabetes: A disorder characterized by high blood levels of glucose in the blood.
Diabetes can damage the large blood vessels increasing the risk of stroke, heart attack, and in the limbs, gangrene. Many studies now suggest that omega-3 is invaluable in combating circulation problems associated with diabetes by rendering the walls of the veins and arteries smooth and more elastic.
- Reduces cholesterol: A person with a high level of cholesterol came to the National hospital in Nuuk.
He had tried different diets and medicinal treatment, but his cholesterol count was still higher than was good for him.
He was urged to eat only traditional Greenland food. In just a month his cholesterol count fell by a whole 70%.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center