Skip to content
Vascular Occlusive of Leg and Subclavian Artery - Help please.
sabine48 posted:

My mom, 74 years old. Recent doppler showed some vascular occlusive disease of the right leg and occlusive disease of the left subclavian artery. She already had a stent placed in that artery (subclaivian) apprx. 8 years ago, is it possible the same one could be blocked again? If it is the same artery she had the stent, how do they usually treat that?

She has had tremendous leg pain on and off for a time. It seems to subside and has returned. Previous doppler showed nothing (about 4-5 years ago), today, the above diagnosis.

What do you think we are looking at her having to do at this point in time? She will be talking to her FP who I think could put her on medicine or refer her to a heart doctor. She also has COPD unfortunately. Same things my beloved father died of because he never sought help 8 years ago.

I hope we are catching this early enough to get help. I don't want to lose her or see her go the way my beloved father did and how he suffered 4 1/2 long months in hospital never to come home...

Thank you.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"She already had a stent placed in that artery (subclavian) apprx. 8 years ago, is it possible the same one could be blocked again?"

It's possible.

"If it is the same artery she had the stent, how do they usually treat that?"

As applicable to the patient, treatment options includes prescription drug-therapy, angioplasty and re-stenting (creating a so-called "stent-sandwich" by placing a second stent inside the original one), Excimer laser angioplasty or atherectomy (removal/extraction of the blockage)..

Best of luck to your 74-years-young mom down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or teatment.

WebMD DOES NOT endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

billh99 responded:
The subclaivian (under the clavicle) artery feeds the arms.

It is not same one that feeds the legs, the femoral artery.

sabine48 replied to billh99's response:
Thank you for the replies. I don't think I had the exact correct info. for my mom's results, I hope to have them to share for an interpretation if possible soon. It's always good to be able to better understand what is going on but is simpler terms than the actual report. Appreciate the time!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center