Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Printzmetal Angina
tkawaguchi posted:
I was recently diagnosed with Printzmetal Angina a couple days ago. I've been going through a number of tests over the past few months, such as a MIBI Scan and stress test, but everything comes up as normal. But I still get severe chest pains that happen while I'm at rest and happens during the day and evenings. Anyone have any advice on how to treat this other than medication? I can't find anything that tells me how I got this either???

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"recently diagnosed with Printzmetal Angina"...

"Anyone have any advice on how to treat this other than medication? I can't find anything that tells me how I got this either???"

General info -

MedlinePlus - Trusted Health Information for You

Coronary artery spasm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000159.htm

Texas Heart Institute

Coronary artery spasm

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/CoronaryArterySpasm.cfm

The BASICS

Coronary artery spasm (CAS) is a brief or transient constriction (narrowing) or total closure of a coronary artery, slowing down (causing cardiac ischemia) or stopping blood flow (through the afftected artery) completely during the spasm(s).

Acute (sudden) or recurring CAS (vasospasm, which typically causes Prinzmetal's or variant angina), as first described by Myron Prinzmetal et. al. in 1959), is a syndrome of chest pain secondary to cardiac or myocardial ischemia.

CAS typically, but not 100% always, occurs while at rest, and is mainly associated with ST-segment elevation (as seen on a routine resting ECG).

Attacks occur particularly from midnight to early morning, noteworthy, probably associated with a circadian rhythm variation in the tone of the large coronary arteries.

Though one of the keys to the diagnosis of CAS lies in the detection of ST-segment elevation with pain, many individuals with variant angina have episodes of asymptomatic (symptomless) ST-segment elevation.

Myocardial cell (heart tissue) damage, as reflected by CK-MB levels (cardiac enzyme blood test), may/can occur in prolonged attacks of CAS. Acute CAS may/can be associated with acute myocardial infarction (MI, heart attack), and serious irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia).

Most individuals with CAS are over the age of 40 years and have significant atherosclerosis in one or more coronary arteries, with coronary spasm usually appearing at or near the site of atherosclerosis (plaque buildup, lesion, blockage, stenosis). CAS may/can also occur in an artery that has no blockage, or even a very mild one.

Coronary spasm may/can be induced (brought on) by certain methods, such as provocation test performed with acetylcholine (ACH), and confirmed with non-invasive (echocardiography) or invasive (X-ray angiography) diagnostic imaging.

Calcium channel blockers (CCBs), are typcially prescribed to treat CAS. Nitroglcerin (nitro) may be helpful as well in some individuals with CAS. In extreme cases, coronary stenting may/can be perfomed to prevent the spasm.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

-

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future...be there.

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

tkawaguchi replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thanks for the info. Anyone else out there have this? I would like to hear how they are coping.

cardiostarusa1 replied to tkawaguchi's response:
You're welcome.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center