Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Do I need a second opinion-----
granmom1 posted:
Hi To All,
This is my first posting, and my concerns are the following: test results read to my daughter by a nurse at my cardiologist office, stating I have less than 50% blockage in my left, carotid artery, mild mitral regurgitation, and mild aortic stenosis. My daughter is a registered nurse and has access to my records. On each six month visit, I do not see my cardiologist, but I see his nurse. I have had previous blood clots and my Dad had hardening of the arteries which led to his heart attack and death. This report was "signed off on", which means my doctor has seen the results. My daughter was told this is nothing to be concerned about, and I will not need any more tests for one or two years. I am wondering if I should get an opinion from a cardiologist who will see me?
Any help will be appreciated!

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"On each six month visit, I do not see my cardiologist, but I see his nurse. I have had previous blood clots and my Dad......"

"I am wondering if I should get an opinion from a cardiologist who will see me?"

Seems warranted at this point in time, even if it turns out being just to get some peace of mind in the matter.

"I have less than 50% blockage in my left carotid artery"

In general, for those diagnosed with carotid artery disease, the main goals now is to stop the blockage from increasing, or plaque breaking off, to prevent a transient ischemic attack (TIA, a mini-brain attack or mini-stroke) or full-on brain attack (stroke) from occurring sometime down the road. Also, carotid artery disease is often indicative of coronary artery disease (CAD).

Along with diet and lifestyle modifications/changes (as an interventional procedure on the carotid arteries is usually not peformed unless blockages reach a certain percentage), typical drug therapy includes aspirin and a statin (e.g., Lipitor, Crestor).

"mild mitral regurgitation"

Valvular regurgitation (leakage) levels goes from trace or physiologic (aka minimal or trivial, found in many otherwise heart-healthy people, and for the most-part, can be safely ignored), to mild (should be monitored) to moderate (should be monitored closely to see what overall effect it's having on the heart) to severe (when it gets to this point, valve repair or replacement is usually dictated).

Valvular regurgitation grading scale by echocardiography is 0-4plus. Valvular regurgitation can cause various symptoms or no symptom(s) at all.

As necessary, prescription drug-therapy treats symptoms, but does not cure the condition. As applicable, corrective treatments include catheter-based or surgical-based valve repair and replacement.

"mild aortic stenosis"

The aortic valve is the most important one, so a narrowing or stenosis should be monitored accordingly.

Keep ALL known modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular/peripheral vascular/cerebrovascular disease closely in-check.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Texas Heart Institute

Carotid artery disease

w/illustrations/photos

Carotid artery disease is a form of disease that affects the vessels leading to the head and brain (cerebrovascular disease). Like the heart, the brain's cells need a constant supply of oxygen-rich blood......

Who is at risk for carotid artery disease and stroke? What are the symptoms of carotid artery disease? How is carotid artery disease diagnosed? How is carotid artery disease treated?

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/CarotidArteryDisease.cfm

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

.Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

granmom1 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you so much Cardio Star, for the helpful information. I have thought about my problem, and have decided to go ahead with my six month visit to the nurse in July. I hope that upon this visit, I will see my doctor, but chances are slim. I have also decided to see a cardiologist in a nearby town if I do not see the doctor. You mentioned many points that have helped me understand things a little better! I do need peace of mind and have a few questions I feel must be answered by a doctor.

Thanks!

cardiostarusa1 replied to granmom1's response:
You're welcome.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
If you do not have any symptoms, then the findings from your tests would suggest that regular follow up is likely appropriate - at the interval recommended by your doctor. It sounds reasonable.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center