Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
vision after heart attack
vanursh posted:
I had a nstemi or non-stl hear attack on Tuesday. I got out of the hospital yesterday and am a little overwhelmed with this new world I;ve been thrown into. I'm only 40, so this was unexpected to say the least.

My questions is about my vision. It's hard to explain, but it feels different. I've always had floaters and have been really sensitive to light, but it feels almost like there is extra brightness in my vision field.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I was wondering if vision changes are common after a heart attack and if they tend to go away, or might this be a new normal?

Thank you

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Vision changes are not particularly common in my experience. It is possible to have visual changes related to a medical procedure, like a coronary angiogram, that might have been performed after your heart attack. However, more people might describe a loss or change in vision rather than bright spot like you mention.

Definitely a good idea to mention this to your doctor.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center