Skip to content
An_252358 posted:
My husband was born in 1962 with a hole in his heart. At that time they did not expect him to live past 8 years old. They gave him digitalis as an infant. I don't know how long he took it. He and I have been married 21 years this November. Years ago he started having problems with his teeth. When he started having them pulled, the top ones were either embedded into his sinus cavity and the roots were crooked or he had 5 roots and the tips were curved. We found out that some of this problem was because of the digitalis that he was given as a child. Now he is having problems with his lower back and neck. He has had x-rays and mri's and they show that in his lower back and neck have discs that are protruding out and causing his pain. The doctors are saying that he could either do physical therapy or surgery. We are wondering if the digitalis that he took as a child would have an effect on his bones like it did his teeth?
cardiostarusa1 responded:

"We are wondering if the digitalis that he took as a child would have an effect on his bones like it did his teeth?"

When it comes to prescription drugs, be it short-term to long-term, anything is seemingly possible.


Do Your Medications Affect Your Bones?

From FDA reports: Digitalis and Bone density decreased density decreased

Best of luck to your husband and you down the road of life.

Take care,


WebMD member (since 8/99)



WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical, diagnosis or treatment.

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center