Skip to content
Fast heart rate
SAMANDMASON posted:
I have some pretty good anxiety issues going on. Have had a EKG that was normal. Taking Celexa and Xanex to help. But I notice that each morning when I awake I have a really fast pulse 95-110 for the first couple hours. WHY??

jean2005 responded:
I have the same issues. My heart rate is usually over 100 to about 125 for a few hours. I do have Afib, CHF and a metal mitral valve. The cardio aversion procedure did not work. The doc gave me medicines to take and those do the trick. They take about 1 to 2 hours to kick in. I don't like the idea of taking these on a long term basis. My cardiologist says that I can enjoy life, yet take it very easy. I am tired most of the time and every day household tasks are monumental. I have lost 31 lbs since March 1, 2013 and still losing. Not quite sure what to make of all of this, but I am interested in any responses that you migh receive.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center