what does all these test results mean???
ecoomes posted:
I'm 27, have had many progressing problems through the past two years on how I feel from day to day. I was finally told to see a cardiologist. Doing so, I have been told I have mitral and tricuspid valve regurgitation with left ventricle hypertrophy, right ventricle enlargement at 35, left atrium enlargement at 4.7 and an ejection fraction of 79%. I feel like crap constantly. What does all this mean??? By the way, my cardiologist won't see me anymore because I surprisingly became pregnant. So now i'm left wondering why she ditched me for being pregnant. Somebody help me please. Thank you.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I surprisingly became pregnant"

Important to know, pregnancy (first, second, or more) itself can place a tremendous strain on the heart and circulatory system, which may/can cause, or aggravate/worsen/exacerbate various symptoms/problems, even in healthy individuals.

By the time the baby is due, blood volume has increased by up to 50%, meaning the heart must beat faster and pump harder to move all that blood. Post-pregnancy, symptoms/problems may/can continue or entirely new ones may/can develop/arise, sometimes slowly, gradually or suddenly.

Safe delivery - Child/Mother

As reported, many pregnancies can and do conclude successfully when medical professionals anticipate potential complications and monitor for early signs of any difficulty.

Providing care for the woman with a cardiac abnormality may/can present certain challenges and therefore the patient is best cared for by a multi-disciplinary team whose members bring specialized knowledge and skill to bear on the needs that the patient and the precious fragile fetus present.

"mitral and tricuspid valve regurgitation"

Valvular regurgitation (leakage) levels goes from trace or physiologic (aka minimal or trivial, found in many otherwise heart-healthy people, and for the most-part, can be safely ignored), to mild (should be monitored) to moderate (should be monitored closely to see what overall effect it's having on the heart) to severe (when it gets to this point, valve repair or replacement is usually dictated).

Valvular regurgitation grading scale by echocardiography is 0-4plus. Valvular regurgitation can cause various symptoms or no symptom(s) at all.

As necessary, prescription drug-therapy treats symptoms, but does not cure the condition. As applicable, corrective treatments include catheter-based or surgical-based valve repair and replacement.

"left ventricle hypertrophy, right ventricle enlargement, left atrium enlargement"

Health Central

Cardiac Enlargement: A Patient Guide

There are two types of cardiac enlargement: Hypertrophy and dilation....

With the exception of exercise-induced enlargement, all forms of cardiac enlargement are abnormal and associated with further......

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/patient-guide-44614-6.html

"ejection fraction of 79%"

Understanding Your Ejection Fraction

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/ejectionfraction.aspx
Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Pregancy

Heart/pulse rate/blood pressure changes

The volume of blood circulating in the human body increases during pregnancy. This is especially significant from 6 weeks until the middle of the pregnancy. After this, the increase is much more gradual.

If you are carrying more than one baby, or if it is not your first pregnancy, the increase in your blood volume will be even greater. In the third trimester (last 3 months) of your pregnancy, your heart/pulse (H/P) rate will increase by up to 10 to 20 beats per minute (BPM). Again, if you are carrying more than one child or if you have been pregnant before, your pulse is likely to be even faster.

There is an increased demand on the mother for oxygen during labor, and the blood pressure (BP) and HP rate will rise. The BP and HR usually return to the levels they were at before labor approximately 1 hour after giving birth.

Some individuals (as determined on a highly-individualized case-by-case basis) with cardiovascular conditions may be advised to have a cesarean section (C-section) as is it easier to control the H/P rate and BP with this specific type of delivery.

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.