Skip to content
Cholesterol
TyBlack posted:
I need some assistance. I am 29years old with a 149 cholesterol level and my Dr. wants to put me on lipitor. I think I am too young to take medication. I work out daily and I eat healthy. My Dr. says that its hereditary, but I prefer to stay away from meds. Any suggestions?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"My Dr. says that its hereditary,......"

In general-only here, statins, such a Lipitor, taken at various ages, are good for some individuals, bad (side effects/adverse reactions, such as elevated liver enzymes, memory loss, muscle aches/pains) for others. On an individualized case-by-case basis, the benefits of taking a statin must clearly outweigh the risks.

On the positive side, statins may/can stabilize vulnerable plaque (VP).

VP hides well-away within the vessel wall (essentially a 0% blockage, but still unequivocal atherosclerosis), can't even be seen with invasive X-ray angiography, causes no advance warning signs/symptoms, and is now recognized worldwide as the cause of the majority of heart attacks by way of plaque rupture causing a blood clot (thrombus).

Statins also have anti-inflammatory properties and as applicable to the patient, thus lowers C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP). Inflammation is recognized as a major player in the development and progression of atherosclerosis.

Additionally, as reported, a risk factor merely increases the probability that one will develop cardiovascular disease, BUT doesn't 100% guarantee that one will develop it, nor does its absence (or even the absence of ALL known risk factors) 100% guarantee that one won't have a heart attack or brain attack.

Also, it has been known for quite some time now that atherosclerosis begins (the process/progression of) at a very early age, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years.

Studies performed in the past have shown fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) as the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

A study in the prestigious NEJM showed just how prevalent this problem is. Researchers performed autopsies on young soldiers who had died in combat from conditions other than CAD.

Almost all the individuals had fatty streaks in the aorta. 50% of individuals under the age of 16 years and 85% of individuals under the age of 40 had them in their coronary arteries. More advanced atheroscleotic blockages were found in 30% of individuals under 20 years and 60% of individuals under 40 years old.

The prevalence of these lesions directly correlated with increasing body weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. Cigarette smokers also had more widespread blockages.

American Heart Association - Live and Learn

What Your Cholesterol Levels Mean

To determine how your cholesterol levels affect your risk of heart disease, your doctor will also take into account other risk factors such as age, family history, smoking and high blood pressure.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=183

Cholesterol/lipid levels vary/fluctuate throughout the day

How To Get Your Cholesterol Tested

If you aren't fasting when the blood sample is drawn, only the values for total cholesterol and HDL cholesterol will be usable. That's because the amount of LDL (bad) cholesterol level and triglycerides can be affected by what you've recently consumed.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=541

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

KNOW your prescription DRUGS and KNOW them WELL

WebMD

Drugs A-Z

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/index-drugs.aspx

Ask A Patient

Rate a drug, side effects, comments, etc.

http://askapatient.com/rateyourmedicine.htm

-

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD DOES NOT endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

billh99 responded:
You really need to ask your doctor for the complete lab report.

When only a single number is give it usually means Total Cholesterol. And a TC of 149 is very good.

More likely that is LDL. But you really need to whole profile to get an idea of what is going on.

And by the guide liness http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atglance.htm
An LDL of 149 is borderline high and does not need treatment unless you have several risk factors.

You might want to see a cardiologist that specializes in prevention. There are advanced cholesterol test that can be run to give a more detailed information on your risk. And there are other test that can be run.

From these you can see if you really are at a higher risk and need to start treatment now. Or really in low risk category.

deadmanwalking57 replied to billh99's response:
I agree.

You are normally give a breakdown of LDL, HDL, and triglycerides. 20% of the Tri number goes to total cholesterol. You should have a ratio of 2.5 or less of LDL to HDL. Lower is better. My LDL/HDL ratio is about 72/48, or 1.5. It has been as low as 1.2.

My ratio was 4:1 at the time of my huge unstable angina and emergency bypass surgery in 2006.

Add more anti-oxidants to your diet.

AidenLL responded:
One of the best supplement for 'High Cholesterol' is Omega 3, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil)
I prefer canadian products because they have the best quality harp seal oil omega3 products.
(Canadian Omega 3 or Newfoundland Omega 3 Premium)

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center