Skip to content
Should I ask for angiography?
An_252569 posted:
Hello I am 20 years old. In March I felt like I was having trouble breathing and went to the ER. They took xrays and did the EKG. The doctor said I was the picture of health. I still felt like I was having trouble breathing, like I have to take deep breaths to get it in and sometimes yawning helps get breath in. The doctors I've seen continue to say its anxiety. Finally I got medicaid to see a Cardiologist. He did another EKG, had blood test, echocardiograph and stress test. He said everything is normal. I'm still nervous after looking around on the internet (even know I was told not to). People say that they have had all the same test done and later found that they did have blocked arteries even with normal results. I have chest pain not serious. I don't know if its just left breast pain or actual chest. It's minor burning sensation in a way it is hard to explain. I'm going to call to see if they can do an angiography on me since I read that it tells about the arteries. But I don't know if my medicaid will cover it since the doctor didn't request it. Should I just believe the cardiologist when he said I'm fine? I had bad diet with junk food and being on college campus doesn't help. I told the cardiologist all this and he said not to worry but my diet needs to change because it will lead to future problems.

kybornrab responded:
hello ~
i would go to a lung doctor. get checked out by them..
Then if every thing is ok there. look into stress or panic attacks, ect. They can come out of no where. and you can't breath, heart beating super fast , ect.
and as you said... CHANGE your eating habits.

Something else you may want to do is . keep track of when this happens, How it felt or hurt & where.What you were doing at the time. them you can show you doctor. This can help your doctor..
Good luck ~ and remember i'm not a doctor i just have heart & lung problems.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"He did another EKG, had blood test, echocardiograph and stress test"

You've had some thorough testing done thus far (though no test is 100% perfect).

"I'm going to call to see if they can do an angiography on me since I read that it tells about the arteries."

If you are referring to invasive X-ray angiography (angiogram heart catheterization), and especially since it's invasive, and carries the risks of complications, some unforeseen, it is only used when deemed absolutely necessary.

As applicable to the patient, there is non-invasive 64-slice Cardiac CT, which allows doctors to view/examine the heart and the coronary arteries in never-before-seen detail.

Far better yet, the newer blazingly fast (benefit of less radiation exposure to the patient, and less contrast media) 320-slice Cardiac CT scanner can measure subtle changes in blood flow, or minute blockages forming in blood vessels, no bigger than the average width of a toothpick (1.5 mm) in the heart, and the brain

Additionally, it has been known for quite some time now that atherosclerosis begins (the process/progression of) at a very early age, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years.

Studies performed in the past have shown fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) as the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

"I had bad diet with junk food and being on college campus doesn't help" /

......"but my diet needs to change because it will lead to future problems."

For sure, and the sooner the better.

Nothing complicated...just plain 'n simple

Heart-Healthy Foods

Avoid
foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Choose skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. Limit servings to five to seven ounces a day. Trim visible fat. Limit egg yolks. Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. Use less salt and fat. Season with herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

Best of luck to down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac (commonly performed, mainstream types) tests info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical
advice, diagnosis or treatment.

An_252569 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
I go to my primary care doctor tomorrow I'll see what she says. Maybe she can get the cardiologist to do a cat scan. Even if it is caused by anxiety I won't be able to control it unless I'm certain it's not my arteries. I don't understand why they just don't do cat scans. Also they already ruled out respiratory/lung problems.

cardiostarusa1 replied to An_252569's response:
"Even if it is caused by anxiety I won't be able to control it unless I'm certain it's not my arteries."

This is certainly understandable, at any age. You want/need some peace of mind in the particular matter.

"I don't understand why they just don't do cat scans."

Well, they must take into consideration factors such as unnecessary radiation exposure and possible contrast media (if required) side effects/adverse reactions.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

billh99 replied to An_252569's response:
I won't be able to control it unless I'm certain it's not my arteries

No test is 100.0000% accurate.

And there will be other issues in the future that you can't be certain of the outcome.

You need to learn methods to control your anxiety.

These include things like deep breathing exercises, yoga, progressive relaxation, and meditations.

Sometime is it helps to have a councilor that can help you learn how to do these yourself.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center