Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
100% pacemaker dependent
Shadsky0 posted:
My mom's cardiologist informed us that her heart is 100% dependent on her pacemaker. I didn't want to scare her so I didn't ask him questions in front of her. My questions are, what does this mean? We were told her battery will last about 11 years, but how can it when it is working constantly? What is some ones prognoses while using the pacemaker 100%? She is 85, had a heart attack a few weeks ago and had the pacemaker put in at that time. Can you help with my questions and can we talk further on this? Thanks you!

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
If a person is pacemaker dependent, that generally means that they require their pacemaker to generate the electrically activity necessary to stimulate their heart to beat a rate fast enough to be able to feel good, have a normal blood pressure, and be able to do the things they want to do comfortably. For some people, this can mean that their heart does not generate any heart rhythm without the pacemaker - but for others it could mean that their heart generates a slower rhythm, and the pacemaker just speeds it up a bit.

The batteries are pretty amazing - they can last a long time - the doctors will check the battery every three months to make sure it is not wearing out more quickly. Pacemakers generally work very well, and tend to improve people's overall quality of life and may extend life too. Take care and all the best to your mom.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center