Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pvcs?
Harty1985 posted:
Hello

I am 27 years old. Reasonably healthy female. And 37 weeks pregnant with baby no2.

A few years ago I had these sensations of flip flopping in my chest but they never really caused a problem. With this pregnancy, they have been so bad. Sometime I have several panic attacks over them because they take my breathe away. Extra beats and skipped beats I feel them all

I saw a cardiologist as he thought I had left atrial tachycardia but I don't as the ECG didn't reveal that only that I had 12 pvcs in 48 hours. He wasn't even bothered and basically thought I was being a drama queen and said let's not get neurotic about them if there so troublesome take some biscosulphate (sonething like that) beta blocker. I declined as I don't want to take anything

I really don't believe these could be benign they feel hurrendous and since the ECG holter they have increased I'm worried about how my heart will be in labour, will I die if a heart attack, will it go out of whack, will it be able to cope

This is not good and I could potentially die in 3 weeks that's how I'm looking at it

Please help

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"as the ECG didn't reveal that only that I had 12 pvcs in 48 hours. He wasn't even bothered......"

"I really don't believe these could be benign......"

Most often, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), are harmless, be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

However, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

"And 37 weeks pregnant with baby no2."

Important to know, pregnancy (first, second, or more) itself can place a tremendous strain on the heart and circulatory system, which may/can cause, or aggravate/worsen/exacerbate various symptoms/problems, even in healthy individuals.

By the time the baby is due, blood volume has increased by up to 50%, meaning the heart must beat faster and pump harder to move all that blood. Post-pregnancy, symptoms/problems may/can continue or entirely new ones may/can develop/arise, sometimes slowly, gradually or suddenly.

Hope the baby is born happy and healthy.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Pregnancy

Heart/pulse rate/blood pressure changes

The volume of blood circulating in the human body increases during pregnancy. This is especially significant from 6 weeks until the middle of the pregnancy. After this, the increase is much more gradual.

If you are carrying more than one baby, or if it is not your first pregnancy, the increase in your blood volume will be even greater. In the third trimester (last 3 months) of your pregnancy, your heart/pulse (H/P) rate will increase by up to 10 to 20 beats per minute (BPM). Again, if you are carrying more than one child or if you have been pregnant before, your pulse is likely to be even faster.

There is an increased demand on the mother for oxygen during labor, and the blood pressure (BP) and HP rate will rise. The BP and HR usually return to the levels they were at before labor approximately 1 hour after giving birth.

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

MedicineNet - We Bring Doctors' Knowledge to You

Palpitations (PACs, PVCs)

http://www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm

eHealthMD

Palpitations

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
</

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center