Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I too young to have a heart attack
Hobbit35 posted:
Hi, Im 35 yrs of age and went to my doctor to report the pain in my chest that flows up my neck into my head and he said Im too young for a heartattack or blood clotting and im being a worrier. I went to another Doctor for a second opinion and he to said I was kind of being a hypercondract. I stopped seeing both of these doctors and don't know where to turn.I fear I maybe having a serouse issue but I cant get a doctor to hear me or validate my concerns with a test. I get a sharp pain so bad under my left breast I can't breath and it last for about a min straight like some one stabbed me and they keep twisting the blade, then I get a lump like pain that travels near my collarbone up into my neck then disapears behind my ear. I fear im haveing heart problems and blood clotts are traveling to my brain and one day i will either die of a heartattack or an anirsem from a blood clot. please someone help me understand whats happening and where can I be seen? I live in CO.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Am I too young to have a heart attack

......"and went to my doctor to report the pain in my chest that flows up my neck into my head and he said I'm too young for a heart attack."

Realistically, you're not too young.

As various medical literature and the worldwide media have reported, clinically significant (blood flow-limiting) coronary artery disease (CAD), sometimes leading to a dreaded heart attack, is increasing in those in their mid/late 30s to early 40s.

CAD actually begins (the process and progression of) very early in life, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years. Studies performed in the past have shown that fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) are the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

A study in the prestigious NEJM showed just how prevalent this problem is. Researchers performed autopsies on young soldiers who had died in combat from conditions other than CAD.

Almost all the individuals had fatty streaks in the aorta. 50% of individuals under the age of 16 years and 85% of individuals under the age of 40 had them in their coronary arteries. More advanced atherosclerotic blockages were found in 30% of individuals under 20 years and 60% of individuals under 40 years old.

The prevalence of these lesions directly correlated with increasing body weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. Cigarette smokers also had more widespread blockages.

Additionally, as reported, the symptoms of artery-narrowing atherosclerosis are highly variable. Those with mild atherosclerosis may present with clinically important symptoms and signs of disease and heart attack, or absolute worst case scenario, sudden cardiac death (SCD) may be the first and only symptom of coronary artery disease (CAD). However, many individuals with anatomically advanced disease may have no symptoms and experience no functional impairment.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Sometimes this requires being assertive.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Learn About the

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

Heart-Healthy Foods

Nothing complicated - plain 'n simple

AVOID
foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes, smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity, high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical
advice, diagnosis or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

The pain that you have, may well be costochondritis,that is originating from the ribs or from diseases of the lung-covering membrane that is,pleura or the pericardium,that is,the membrane covering the heart.The heart attack case is unlikely because the pain seldom reach beyond the neck into the head.However,you need to have a thorough cardiological check -up from a responsible cardiologist and not definitely by those two doctors whom you have earlier met.Do not be anxious and do not over-react.Please follow my advice and for your information I ,myself am a doctor practising in Calcutta,India.

Bob7040 responded:
Did either of these doctors perform any tests, including listening to your carotid artery? Any blood tests? I find it difficult to believe that they dismissed your fears without doing some tests.

If they did do tests and still say the same thing, see a reputable cardiologist. He/she should, at the very least, perform a stress test.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center