Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Resveratol
scotto77 posted:
Please for a medial expert to answer only.

I am interested in Resveratol. It seems to be safe and effective at 150 - 500 mg. Do you recommend? Is it safe? What side effects?

Thank you.

billh99 responded:
http://m.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/resveratrol-blocks-the-benefits-of-exercise

The exercise program worked: the subjects made significant gains in aerobic fitness (VO2max), blood pressure, cholesterol, and several other fitness markers. But the gain were severely blunted in the subjects taking resveratrol.

Another thing to remember, the lead researcher points out, is that the supplement dose is way higher than what you'd get from sipping red wine, or consuming any food, for that matter. It's not that resveratrol is "bad" -- it's that extracting isolated compounds from "good" foods and then ingesting them in (comparatively) massive doses turns out time and time again to have effects that we're unable to predict and that seldom turn out to be good. That's why I continue to believe that , for most of us, in most contexts, most supplements are a bad idea.

More details and links to the source in article.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I do not recommend it. I do not believe that the medical evidence truly supports its benefit.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center