Skip to content
sharonpramos posted:
I need to know the term or name used when u have ateries in neck that are twisted and braided?
cardiostarusa1 responded:

Good question.

Most important, if you are not asking for someone else, and have this specific condition, please consult with your doctor.

In general, if/when an artery is "twisted" this is usually referred to as "tortuous." This can also fall under the category of artery anomaly or anomalous artery, usually congenital (born with it), which is an abnormality or malformation.

Noteworthy, a braided-like appearance may/can be the result of multiple aneurysms (a swelling or ballooning out of an area or areas of a vessel wall) and/or thrombosis (blood clots).

Take care,


WebMD member (since 8/99)



WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center