Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Aortic Valve Replaced 3 years ago, symptoms returning
FamousAmos822 posted:
I had minimally invasive surgery to replace my aortic valve when I was 27, about three years ago. The surgery went well and my symptoms vanished, which were constant heart palpitations, shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. About 3 weeks ago, I started having the palpitations again, every night, until I would fall asleep. Then it started to happen even during the day, just when I was at rest, like sitting and watching tv. Shortly after that began, I was walking downtown with my husband and became short of breath; we only walked a couple blocks, it seemed odd to me because it hasn't happened in so long. Also experienced the shortness of breath walking up flights of stairs while carrying some luggage and then attended a concert where I was active and got short of breath just from singing the songs and having fun... a couple of times while short of breath I had pain/tightness in my chest. Since then, I have been taking it easy, the palpitations seem to have eased up quite a bit, and I haven't gotten out of breath, but that could be because I haven't been doing anything except working (bank teller, not a strenuous job). It's only been three years since my surgery, could I already be on the road to needing another valve?! Mine was replaced with a bovine valve due to it being bicuspid and having stenosis since birth. I really don't want to have surgery again so soon!!

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"could I already be on the road to needing another valve?"

Hopefully not, though there is no way to know/tell for sure via the Internet (which has serious limitations/restrictions). This can only be truly determined by having the appropriate diagnostics (such as an echocardiogram and/or Cardiac MRI) performed.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society[br>[br>.[br>

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center