Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried that I sound like a hypochondriac
LilacOutMyWindow posted:
I am very concerned with my declining health - I have been short of breath with exercise to the point that now walking up stairs to my bedroom takes some time, near to and eventually fully passing out, and recently had chest pain with nausea.

Luckily, lung function tests came back great!

An echocardiogram showed trivial right to left shunting through a PFO.

Lots of ECGs have shown that a year ago the r axis was 83, and now -1 to -7. I also have new flattening and occasional inverting of t waves in several leads.

A regadenoson stress test (they were afraid I'd pass out) produced chest pain, inverted t waves, and tachycardia. However the imaging showed no blockages, just dome size differences between my breasts, and a brief mention of "septal wall flattening, suggestive of pulmonary hypertension".

Most recently, during severe chest pain, a computer read showed "incomplete right bundle branch block". But I was told there was no true bundle branch block to be concerned about.

During this hospital stay Saturday, I was looking through my lab tests (I have access online) and noticed my chloride is consistently high out of bounds, and my CO low. I asked if that had any bearing on anything.

Shortly after that and discussing the IRBBB, the drs decided I was merely anxious. I was given zofran and Ativan. While the Ativan is helping me sleep, the chest discomfort is still present. I am to follow up with my GP and cardiologist.

I am concerned that something is being overlooked because I am a 36 year old obese female who is otherwise healthy, but I have been mentally unstable in the past (well controlled with medications for years now).

I fear that the more involved I try to be in my health care, the more I pay attention, the more questions I ask, the more I am seen as merely anxious.

I am hoping to learn how to talk with my care team in a way that we can work together, instead of this antagonism that seems to have cropped up.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center