Skip to content
Prenatal Ultrasound showing overdeveloped/thicker papillary muscle
marjo20 posted:
I recently had my 20 week ultrasound. The ultrasound tech informed the doctor the papillary muscle was more visible than normal. The doctor rescheduled an ultrasound for 3 weeks due to the baby's positioning they couldn't get a good overall view of the heart to make sure that there isn't any other issues. I am very worried. What does this mean?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

In general, as reported, the papillary muscles contract during the heart's pumping phase (systole) to prevent regurgitation (a back-flow of blood) into the atria (upper chamber/s). A hypertrophic or overdeveloped or thickened papillary muscle may/can affect this prevention aspect, which may/can then lead to other associated problems.

Papillary muscle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papillary_muscle

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors.

Hope all goes as well as possible with the pregnancy.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center