Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Triple Bypass Surgery - Your feedback please
Salmon2000 posted:
I'm 68 and would like to hear from anyone that has had a triple bypass at my age. How are you doing today? Has anyone lived 15+ years? Have you needed more surgery after the triple bypass? Did anyone become disabled after the surgery? Would anyone do it again? Or, does anyone say, don't do it? My situation is that I have 3 clogged arteries, including the main artery to the heart. But, I can walk 3 - 4 miles per day and I do fine except when I overexert myself. Then I just stop when I feel the tightness in my chest. I hope that you will share your experiences. I am worried about rushing into the triple bypass even though that is the recommendation. I would rather just have some stent. Anyone, please share your experience. Thanks!

billh99 responded:
I had triple at 66.

This last week I rode my bike 80 miles and went wakeboarding yesterday and today.

And while I don't have 15 years on it, I have set a goal of riding 700 miles in Oct. The month that I will turn 70 and the 4 year anniversary of my bypass.

My case was similar to yours. No heart attack. But I would be short of breath if I carried anything heavy up stairs or a hill. And I was often fatigued after doing moderate activities and "drop" in the evening.

Technically I only had 2 blockages, but the main one was in the LM (which supplies most of the heart) just before the split to the LAD and circumflex arteries. So they have to put a bypass into to each one of them. And then a 3rd bypass for the 2nd blockage.

While their is a small risk from an open heart surgery & require a recovery period studies have shown that for "complex" cases that over the years the bypass last longer then stents.

"Complex" in this case is based on the number of blockages and if they are near a branch artery, in a bend, etc.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center