Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pacemaker
tbf524 posted:
I'm due to get one on the 23rd of September.
I'm not overly concerned but should I be? I guess I'm afraid of BECOMING afraid as the time draws nearer.
Also, the doctor wants to add a '4th' wire just to be safe.
Is the scar from this pretty small? Will the '4th' wire add to that?

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
The risk of major complications from a pacemaker implantation are low, but should be discussed with your doctor. The scar is generally two inches long or smaller. The number of wires does not specifically impact the size of the scar. You might want to discuss the purpose of each wire for your procedure with your doctor. Take care and all best for the upcoming procedure.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center